1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dyslexia and dyscalculia?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Spot, May 7, 2017.

1. Spot

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Before I start, I've already been diagnosed with scotopic sensitivity and I'm being tested for ADHD but I'm feeling really frustrated. Because even if I do have scotopic sensitivity and ADHD, that doesn't explain all my difficulties. I think I have good reason to believe I am dyslexic and suffering from dyscalculia but I don't know how to get tested.

I've always had a hard time reading. I always skip over words, lines, even whole paragraphs sometimes. I have trouble with handwriting, it's very messy and I often leave words out of my sentences. And then there's the most frustrating thing which is swapping letters around. For example, I often write "p"s instead of "q"s and vice versa, "d"s instead of "p"s, there are probably more but I can't think. Then there's words that I will always misspell. "Conservation" instead of "conversation", "revelant" (relevant), "incest" (insect), "excerise" (exercise), etc. And always, always since I was very young, I'd get left and right confused. I don't even know how. It took me until like 12 years old to understand left and right never really changed which is super late :icon_redf I mean, I want to read. I really do. I want to read Shakespeare badly but I'll never get to that level of understanding. When I was 14 or 15, I challenged myself to read Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone and I started crying because I couldn't do it :lol: (I eventually finished it) and it's a book for like 8 year olds. It took me months to finish. I just hate it because it comes so easily to some people and they can spend hours reading. I try to read for a few minutes and I get headaches.

I've had trouble with math for as long as I can remember. I can't describe too many symptoms here. I just suck. I can't get anything, even if it's described to me two, three, four times. It's like it just doesn't click. I was tutored for two years and I still fail math exams. And I'm talking algebra, finances, trigonometry, fractions, even addition and subtraction occasionally. I just can't do it. The thing is, I love math and I want to do it (like reading) but my brain just has this...weird block. When I was maybe 13, I had this huge dream and I wanted to study Physics. I could only take the class once I was in the Eleventh Grade and that's exactly what I did. I loved hearing the lessons and I was so proud of myself once I started to partially understand something but I had to ultimately drop the subject. Because I was so behind the other kids, I was hardly getting the answers right and it was causing a lot of distress. I think I cried after every class because I wanted to understand so badly, I felt so stupid. I still do even though I shouldn't. I hate that some of the kids were intellectually gifted and had higher IQs while I just suck. My IQ is slightly above average but it's not like I can do anything with it.

Do I sound normal (but stupid) or should I actually seek a diagnosis? And how do I even get diagnosed? I need something anyway. Some days I wish I'd just die because I can't read or write, I can't do math, how will I ever get anywhere in the world? The only subjects I enjoy are Shop and Art, I also get guitar lessons at school but I can't really do anything with those subjects :/

2. Canterpiece

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I know the feeling, I think I might have dyscalculia too but I'm having a hard time finding somewhere that will test for it as well.

#2 Canterpiece, May 7, 2017
    Last edited: May 7, 2017