1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Did I overreact

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by kenn, May 8, 2017.

1. kenn

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I recently came out as being gay, but I've known in the back of my head for about 2 years. I've never really liked football, but I joined my junior high football team to prove some people wrong, but I guess I've kind of gotten attached to it, and it probly was good for me, but after I started questioning my sexual orientation, I quite the team the next year because I wasnt super good and I thought it would be awkard but now I look back on it and I asked a couple of my friends who still play for my school and they said it would have been fine. So I've started to wonder if I made the right call or not. Or do you think the high school coaches would have kicked me for it. Idk I just feel kind of stupid about it. Did I make the right chose??sorry about wasting our time with stupid question lkke this

2. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well... I think you made the choice that seemed like the most sensible choice to you at the time. And there's nothing wrong with that.

Outside of that... perhaps thinking about why it seems important to you to know if you "made the right decision" would be helpful. All of us have made decisions that made sense at the time, but that we might have done differently.

You had no way of knowing how people would take it. Increasingly, it's not a big deal in a lot of schools, but in some places it is. And while some coaches are awesome and accepting, others are kind of ignorant and homophobic.

So, on balance, I think either decision, at the time, would have been a sensible one. Since you can't go back in time, I'd say believe in yourself and the decision you made. If you really, really feel like it was a bad choice, perhaps you can consider going back next year?