1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Did I Do the Right Thing?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by alainbeaux, May 12, 2017.

1. alainbeaux

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Hi Guys,

So I've recently been faced with the toughest situation of my life. I'm graduating school tomorrow, and we recently had our last final. On that final one classmate posted answers online and some people used them on the exam (I changed several answers myself). Later, at a ceremony downtown I saw the head of my program and he called me over to inform me that it'd be discovered a student had posted answers during the exam. He asked if I knew anything about it. I said no. Later I fessed up to him in an e-mail that, in fact, the whole class was aware of the answers being posted, but that not everyone knew about it while the exam was going on or used them. I later told him the name of the person who did it, my classmate and friend. I was told this would save the school a huge scandal detrimental to the careers of the teachers involved and the future of my program (this is an important school in my country by the way).

Did I do the right thing?

First, I'm worried about having damaged my reputation with the head of the program because I didn't initially tell him the truth. I know there's the whole philosophy of "you mess up with a client and make it right later, you've still permanently losses that client." My program head isa very influential figure in my field and known for finding graduates jobs. Have I blown my chances of him recommending me because I lied initially? I just felt so bad about giving up my classmate, and my own paranoid about him finding out I used some of the answers posted online.

Also, am I a terrible person for having given up my friend? I feel absolutely terrible and can never tell him about it. but this forum is all I have. my parents won't let me e-mail the head of the program expressing my frustration over the program. The way they see it I saved the school a scandal, the way I see it I betrayed a colleague and classmate, and have permanently ruined my reputation with the head of my program. What do you guys think? I feel like the worst person on earth at this point.

2. OnTheHighway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You did exactly what your supposed to do. Your initial reaction is one of human nature, your second is one of rationale thought. What you did do is save your reputation. And in the end, that's important in life.

3. BostonStranger

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That must've been a tough decision to make, but the only good one in the end. Something similar happened at a university in Amsterdam and basically a lot of degrees became absolutely worthless after it became known in the media.

4. alainbeaux

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    But also, like, will the head of my program not recommend me to any jobs now that I didn't tell him the truth initially?

5. deepwaters7

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Of course, while it's not impossible, it doesn't seem like something that would happen. I think you will be fine. In the end you did the right thing, decisions like these can be hard but you chose wisely.

#5 deepwaters7, May 12, 2017
    Last edited: May 12, 2017