1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Advice to start working out

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by AlexJames, May 13, 2017.

1. AlexJames

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I want to start working out to be healthy, to build a little muscle, and to lose 10lbs. I'm like 4"10' or 4"11 and weigh average 105-110lbs. Aside from work as a cashier i literally don't do anything but sit on my computer all day. I have no clue what to do, what's reasonable, what to start out with. Like i wanna buy dumbbells but i don't even know what size to buy. I've looked and they've got size 5, 8, and 10 for small sizes if i remember right. For reference, at work i can lift a 24 pack of water but it takes effort and that's literally the most i can lift. I just want some basic stuff i can do at home on my own with no equipment. Idk what i'm doing i'm a total couch potato.

2. summersun

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I'd recommend bodyweight training. There are many good books on it, I'm working out with Mark Laurens books (the editions for guys, after training in the gym the womens editions seemd to boring to me). Bodyweight training gives a full body workout and it's especially good for the core. No more back- and shoulderpain for me. If you want to use dumbells etc.you should look for a gym. A trainer needs to show you how to work out with weights, otherwise you could hurt youself and the trainer needs to plan a program with exercises for you.

3. anthracite

anthracite Guest

Dumbbells are good for the start, but if you need a little more exercises to choose from probably join a gym. Most offer to show you how the devices work and which area they work out. After a few weeks you'll know most of the stuff.

What's your BMI and body fat? Do you want to loose weight or gain muscle first? Any specific wishes, like strong shoulders, a toned butt?

4. AlexJames

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I want to lose weight first. Figuring out my BMI for sure is hard cause i swear every time i get my height measured for whatever reason, the height changes. Mostly back in school when we had the annual fitness test, cause i rarely go to the doctors as an adult. I'm somewhere between 4"10' and 5"0' and last i got weighed it was 108 and i was sick, so i usually say between 105 and 110. On me, this looks a bit chubby and now i feel like my body traps more heat than i'm comfortable with. I want to get to 95-100 cause every time i've looked, that's usually in my healthy weight range.

Ah okay. That's cool on the gym. Still with all my social anxiety i think i'd need to build up confidence before i go to a gym. Or at least find like a beginner's class to take or something like that. But even then, what would i even wear? My thighs are covered in self harm scars nobody knows about and i'd rather it stay that way. Not even my coworkers have seen them and i trust them more than most of my family.

I've got a bit before i start doing this. I think i'm gonna aim for when my sister gets out of school for the summer. Mostly cause that gives me time to do some spring cleaning and actually find room to put anything i buy to use to workout. I mean my mom has a home gym but my mom is also the reason i have all those scars, so i avoid her like the plague. If i have to i'll ask her, but i'd rather not at least to start out with. She doesn't take me seriously when i tell her i want a circuit training regime from her so i can start working out.

5. Jax12

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Trainers at the gym are expensive, but I've gotten an immense amount of knowledge on how to properly use the equipment and how to do an excercise effectively. I honestly would have no clue if I would be doing something wrong. In the end, seeing changes is about commitment. Diet becomes a play if you want to see any changes as well. You don't have to eat/train like a bodybuilder (unless that's what you're after), but making small changes to your diet in addition to working out will provide you with positive results.

6. Moonsparkle

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I will second the idea of joining a gym--they're pretty inexpensive, you can also get a guest pass for a few days if you don't want to commit and just want to check it out.

A gym is good because it will give you options for a balanced all around workout, cardio and weight lifting. I have some social anxiety too, joining things is hard for me. But trust me, you won't build up confidence sitting at home-you WILL build up confidence by summoning the courage to face your fears, joining a gym and working out :slight_smile: ! Trainers are always around to help beginners. And you will see people there of all weights and ages! When you start a class just stay towards the back (that's what I did as a beginner, and I felt much more comfortable back there as I was learning.)

And I do understand your worries about self harm scars, but no worries about them showing. Most girls wear leggings at the gym. This is the usual workout wear, so everything will be covered.

But if you decide the gym is absolutely not for you, I would start by watching some Youtube videos. You can learn a lot about working out from these. As was mentioned you will want to focus on bodyweight workouts-anything that works the core will give you the best results. I wouldn't purchase a bunch of dumbells at first as you are going to want to keep increasing the weight you lift. (Another reason why a gym is a good option!) Just using body resistance (push-ups, planks etc.) will be effective too, no expense at all!:thumbsup:

7. ameliawesome

Look up KIMfitness on YouTube, she posts videos of at-home workouts geared towards people who have little time to exercise and no equipment. I used to do sit-ups in my bed before getting up, any little thing does make a difference.