1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Estonia

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by ArtemisStrange, May 14, 2017.

1. ArtemisStrange

I am curious if anyone can provide a perspective on lgbt acceptance in Estonia. safety and if possible how a transwoman is likely to fare if she for instance were to move to Estonia to live with her relatives.

2. thedorkside

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LGBT_rights_in_Estonia

Since Estonia is very civilised I doubt you'd run into any considerable risk of being attacked or harassed because of your being trans. If you're thinking about discrimination in the workforce or how difficult it is for a transwoman to find employment, I don't really know.

I'm sorry I can't be of more help but this may be the only reply you'll get. After all it's Estonia you're asking about and not really everyone is familiar with life there. Still your idea of the country should be a western advanced one closer to Europe than Russia; although a number of ethnic Russians into russian media might bring in a sprinkle of more homophobic contemporary Russian culture. But it's definitely not going to be the dominant one.

If you're really planning to move there I guess you won't trust the advice of some stranger in the internet so I hope i'm not wasting your time. If you have a good reason to move there which involves a good prospects of beginning a professions then I don't think there's anything at all that should deter you.

3. RobKing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    It all depends on where you are planning to move. Tallinn and Tartu are probably the most accepting, but as a whole i don't think Estonia is as safe and tolerant as it is trying to seem. Not to discourage you, but the people here can be a bit old fashioned. Rural areas and small towns are more conservative than the big (not really that big) cities. I'm from the countryside myself so i might have more of a pessimistic view.
    Estonians usually mind their own business so unless they really have something against LGBT people they are not likely to say it to your face.