1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bleeding ear piercing

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by analogue, May 17, 2017.

1. analogue

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I only have one piercing in each year, and I got it done ~7 or 8 years ago. I often switch between wearing them for a few weeks and then taking them out for another few weeks. As expected, the holes start to close up after a while, but I usually have very few issues putting them back in.

The other day I was putting in a pair and I noticed some slight discomfort in my left ear. I didn't think anything of it, because I'd felt this discomfort before in the past but never had any issues. The next morning I ended up taking it out because I could tell that my ear was slightly swollen/ it hurt a bit to touch it. A tiny bit of blood came out as well, but I cleaned my ears and left it at that. This was a few days ago. I just decided to try putting in earrings again, and it was tough getting into my left ear. After a few minutes of gentle pushing I gave up and checked if there was any redness/ blood. I did see some blood again and cleaned up. I'm keeping an eye out for infections, and will go to the doctor if one occurs/doesn't go away quickly.

I admit, I rarely clean my earrings properly before putting them in, but I always wipe them off after taking them out. I thought I'd ask here before resorting to a google search, in case anyone has had similar issues with piercings or any advice. How long should I wait before trying again? I'm also kinda worried that if it scabs over/heals inside my ear, will it have to be re-pierced? Thanks

2. Worker Bee

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I only have my lip and tongue pierced however a friend has a bunch of piercings in her ears.

What I would suggest is to clean around your ears and the actual piercing before putting them back in as it doesn't take much to aggravate the ear.

I have no idea how long you can go without wearing them.