1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

School Problem

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by aybirdy, May 18, 2017.

1. aybirdy

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hey all! This is my first post here. I just have an issue at my school, I was wondering if you have any advice or feedback. For context, I'm the President of my school's GSA Club.
    I am enrolled in a yoga class at my high school. Yoga is an amazing class, and I love it. But at the start of every period, students like me are extremely isolated and uncomfortable. Cisgender females change together inside the room, but all other genders change in the men's restroom. After changing, there is a call for boys to come in, leaving me invalidated and erased. How can I encourage my yoga instructor to leave her binary way of thinking, and make the yoga room a safe place for all students?

2. Hunter8

Would you be able to possibly change in another location? You could do it in the restroom or something in order to not draw attention to or make a big deal about it. You should also voice how you're feeling to your instructor. She may have some ideas too.

3. aybirdy

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Oh, I forgot to mention I'm dmab. I'm not super uncomfortable in the restroom, and the only other viable option is the nurse's office- too far away. The thing that bothers me the most is how they say "Boys come in", and I have to respond to that. Very invalidating. I don't know how to talk to her about it at all.

4. AlexJames

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    A few people
    You said you are the GSA president. Have you brought it up with the other GSA club kids? Maybe they have some ideas. They probably know this instructor better than we do. Besides, maybe one or two of them have or will deal with a similar situation.

5. Hunter8

Okay, I see. I'm gay, but I confess to not having any transgender experience of my own to draw from, so forgive me if some unintentional ignorance ever slips in to my comments. I can see why the "Boys come in" part would bother you. As hard as it may be, I just really think you should communicate these concerns to a trusted faculty member that you trust. A lot of people like myself just do not realize that some gesture or phrase could be very hurtful to a transgender individual. Calling them out on it may be the best course of action. Also, as easy as it can be to do so, try not to take anything personally. It's likely not intended that way.

6. aybirdy

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I haven't really considered that. I'll see if my officers want to talk about it. Thanks!

---------- Post added 18th May 2017 at 10:44 AM ----------

I appreciate your thoughtful response, and totally understand where you're coming from.