1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I have no motivation for college

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by purplepuppy, May 19, 2017.

1. purplepuppy

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I have 4 weeks today to get 16 assignments done and I just don't have any motivation to do it. Over the course of the year I have had 7 teachers leave, another one goes next Friday, and every other teacher I have leaves at the end of the course.
    I can't bring myself to do my coursework as my brain keeps telling me "if the staff don't care why should you?" and I just don't see the point of it.

2. AlexJames

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Can you apply to another college? Perhaps going to a college you feel proud to go to would help.

3. purplepuppy

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    The course finishes in less than a month, it's way too late to change.

4. AlexJames

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I know that. I mean like...push through it, finish your semester up, and start looking at applying to another college that you like. Surely there's somewhere that will accept the transfer credits for whatever classes you've taken. If you just let those assignments sit its a huge waste of your time, effort, and money. Or do you mean you've got a month till you finish and you've got your degree?

5. purplepuppy

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    It's a UK college so I don't get a degree at the end but yeah it finishes in a month, if I'm not done by then they are not "obligated" to let me hand work in.

6. Worker Bee

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Wow! It totally sucks that so many teachers have left. No wonder you're having a hard time getting stuff done. Do you have any assignments that are relatively easy to do and wouldn't take much time? Hopefully if you start with them it will give you momentum.

7. Athexant

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    May I ask what you're going for a degree in? I know in the UK "college" and "university" are very different than here in the US. Finishing this year up will put you that much closer to doing something you'll enjoy doing for the rest of your life. It might feel like giant Hell for the rest of the month and perhaps off in university, but you'll regret slacking off in the long run.

Also, if you wish to take a break from college or university. I'd suggest taking a gap year to maybe work or get yourself mentally prepared to return to college after you finish up your courses this year. Maybe you'll find a job you love doing, and you won't have to go back if you don't wish to.

I know this advice isn't always easy to hear and digest; however, it's very crucial to keep working for your future.

8. Bakemono

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    A temporary break can help

9. Hunter8

I felt the way you did once about college. I couldn't wait to just be done with it and get out in the "real world" and work. But as I look back now, I wish I had stayed in college longer. Trust me when I say that the grass isn't always greener on the other side. When you enter the workforce with a lackluster college education you set yourself up to become trapped in a job where you have almost no control. You can work your butt off to prove yourself, but people will seldom take you seriously if you don't have a Bachelor's degree. I stopped after getting my Associate's, and I regret doing so. School is not so bad, my friend. Something much worse awaits if we abandon our academic endeavors prematurely. Not to be cliche here, but STAY IN SCHOOL! :wink: