1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

This isn't true, right? :\

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Spot, May 19, 2017.

1. Spot

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    So I've been feeling kind of sick of referring to myself as part of the community already, only because everyone thinks I'm an SJW because of what I am...I was sick of everyone acting like I was so horrible because my political views are central (as opposed to right or left) and because I try to keep my belief in God. I actually considered cutting myself off completely for a while but ultimately decided against it...

Anyway, I've heard a lot of people saying that there's been a major push to add "P" (pedophilia) to the acronym "LGBT" as well as just normalize it in general. They're saying that molesting children doesn't damage them psychologically which is bullshit, I still have nightmares about my sexual abuse to this day and I was abused nine years ago. The thought of anyone trying to lump me in with pedophiles is terrifying, I've had right-wing Christians suggest that I am a pedophile merely for being transgender and having same-sex attraction. Or suggest that I support pedophilia and beastiality because I support gay marriage, I'm not going to give them more of a reason to believe that. And if this really does happen, then I don't know what I'm going to do. Honestly, I'd rather not transition and just keep the appearance of a heterosexual girl. I've been feeling so sick...I got a new book with a gay character today and I was so excited, I'd been waiting months to read it but now I feel really upset.

So, is this really something that's gaining popularity or is it being blown out of proportion? I have seen like "love is love" messages which include and support pedophilia but I guess they could be edited or troll posts anyway...

2. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I haven't heard this and I don't think it would gain much traction either. It may be true that some religious and conservative zealots would like to harm the wider LGBT community by including P(aedophiles), but there is zero chance of the community itself embracing the idea and that's why it would ultimately fail.

3. Kodo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Exactly what Patrick said.

That notion is utter bullshit and any sane person who happens to be LGBT will reject it wholeheartedly. Personally I have not heard of this outside of people who are anti-LGBT and are trying to cause a stir by lopping in paedophilia and bestiality. It's not only absurd, but wrong.

4. WeDreamOfPeace

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    First heard of this from reading old Jehovah's Witness material, that believed all homosexuals supported NAMBLA, an organization trying to legalize pedophilia. And exactly what Patrick and Kodo said, that is pure bullshit that would never be accepted by the rainbow.

Peace hope and awesomeness.

5. SomeUsername

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Personally I haven't heard a thing about that. One of the main arguments that has helped the gay rights movement gain ground has been that gay sex is just as consensual as straight sex, so I doubt even the most batshit crazy activists would make those sorts of arguments. (Well obviously there are some screwed up people out there, but they don't exactly make the rules.)

6. spaceboyoliver

I'm pretty sure this whole push to include pedophiles in the LGBT community was started by 4chan.

7. Shoei Loei

Shoei Loei Guest

Woah, I haven't heard about that until now, but I agree with what everyone else here has said. Adding pedophilia into the acronym would be completely asinine, and it wouldn't make any sense. Pedophilia is a whole other thing on its own...it's a terrible thing...and I personally have never associated it with a sexuality or sexual orientation. I don't think our community, nor most other people from other communities would go for it. I figure ignorant bigots would like to lump pedophilia in with the LGBT+ community because of their prejudice and lack of knowledge. However, I do not think it's true that that would be added into the acronym. This is something I've thought of before in the past though. I used to hear about people comparing LGBT+ individuals to pedophiles, and it used to make me sick. I've known of some people who still think of it in that way, but it's so far from it. As someone who works with teenagers, I'm very careful of how people perceive me for my sexual orientation because there are some crazy notions against being anything but cis & straight. Which to me doesn't make sense because whats to stop a heterosexual adult from making advances on a child or teenager? I'm a teacher, and most of the stories I hear about teachers praying on students involve heterosexual teachers. But don't let the pedophilia part get to you...it is indeed utter bullshit.

8. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    There are some that are trying to include pedophelia, but those numbers are not a lot. They also are usually not LGBT people. Some pedophiles use a slippery slope arguement when it comes to LGBT acceptance.

That being said, some religious groups use the slippery slope arguement as well. So, when they see a small group of people outside the LGBT community promoting pedophilia, they take it and run with it. They also love to change it to LGBT people are teying to normalize pedophilia, even though that is not true. They just want the shock value.

9. Sebby45

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    First time hearing this, but that is just sick. *shiver*

10. SomeUsername

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Also I'd like to add that some people campaign for social acceptance for pedophiles, but only non-offending ones. Some people experience attraction to children but feel terrible about it and never act on it. I think a lot of the people who talk about normalizing pedophilia want to get rid of the stigma faced by non-offending pedophiles, but not the stigma associated with pedophiliac acts. Still though, it doesn't seem like a fitting thing to have "pride" about or add to the acronym...