1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I need help! What tools could you give to deal with people's opinions?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by OscarX, May 21, 2017.

1. OscarX

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Like many issues different people have different opinions and ideologies about homosexuality, every time that issue comes up people have to go about their own interpretations. It is usually something like "I don't have a problem with it, BUT!".
    So just to get some background about the situation, there's someone gay in my workplace, he's very feminine, not very smart and all he talks about for 8 hours every single day is gay sex, literally nonstop, giving the LGBT community a wonderful representation.

Today at work the issue of homosexuality came up and the religious chick had open her pedestal and voice her fucking opinion about it, she started by saying that she doesn't have any problem with gay people as individuals and she "respects" every person and treats everyone with "kindness and love", it took her about 10 minutes bragging about it until she said it, with a subtle tone of politeness seemingly somewhat intelligent, saying that she sees homosexuality as a "defect" (at this point the gay guy went out of the room, you could see he was offended by what she said) She started to go on about why she thinks it damages our society yet trying not to offend and to be as politically correct as possible while arguing/discussing with other collegues, one college came up who's a friend of mine (a closeted bisexual with a girlfriend (yes, I found his filthy ****** profile, what a fucking whore) trying to defend gay people later saying that he thinks that being gay is a choice but he respects it as long as it doesn't hurt anyone.

During the whole discussion I've become a silent stone, trying to protect myself from the words which have been said, but my defense wasn't strong enough, in fact it wasn't strong at all. These sharp words were aiming at me on full blast, stabbing me like weapons over and over again, I was praying for it to stop but ultimately knew I had no control over it. It really hurts, I feel a sharp physical pain in my chest like my rib cage has been broken into pieces. I'm a weak person, it wouldn't take much to kill me with just words. My woods eventually heal but I'm never able to tie my stitches as tight enough so they always leave a scar behind.

2. AlexJames

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Can't help much, but i'll hawk this thread for advice anyways. Most of the time i just remind myself that nobody else can say anything that my mom hasn't already said and said worse. But sometimes i'm too sensitive or i'm having a bad day or whatever and it gets to me anyways. Most of my coworkers are either nice to me or ignore me, but i'm not out to anybody. Even the supervisor who i'm pretty sure is gay cause i've heard i'm talking about guys a few times to his supervisor friends.

3. OscarX

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I feel like there's so much pain in our community, everyone has his/hers/theirs own dark story. I hate society, sometimes I want to live on an island all by myself far away from all of this chaos. It helps me to talk about it, sharing makes me feel good.

#3 OscarX, May 21, 2017
    Last edited: May 21, 2017
  4. Really

Hey OscarX,

That's a tough one. I can see how it would be particularly hurtful and because you don't want to come out to these people for now, if you think you could manage this, here are my suggestions. I think it would make you feel better if you said something, right?

First, given the circumstances, you could either speak up to defend your gay colleague, whether you like him or not, you're both suffering the brunt of this homophobic treatment. Ask her how she'd like it if that's what people said about the chabadniks, or whatever she is.

Additionally or alternatively, you could take the academic approach and simply point out where she's mistaken and needs to do more research on the matter from reputable sources, ie. not religious and keep her opinions to herself until she's more informed.

Are there workplace policies in place against discrimination? I'd also remind her she's overstepping the boundaries of acceptable behaviour.

My 2 cents. Good luck.

5. Zoneingout

Sometimes you have to get kicked down to the point where getting up is something that you see as an everyday thing because it eventually builds up a wall protecting you from harm. over time you'll have enough experience in the world where you'll be able to defend yourself against people with horrible opinions. But you cannot for somebody to believe what you do or just like them you would be in the wrong. There is no guide book for how to handle other people's opinions just like there's no guidebook to live a perfect life. Until they're solid evidence that becomes more than words there will never be a way to prove to the ignorant people that we are not a disorder or a problem.

The only thing we can do is educate and if people don't listen or wish to take another perspective been okay as long as they're not punching you in the face or being aggressive they have all the right to speak your mind as well as you do the most you can do is walk away if you don't like it that would be the same thing for politics or anything else in the world

6. OscarX

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Thank you for the comment.
    I'm not the kind of person who stands up for himself, I'd rather keep quiet and take it in.
    There are indeed policies against discrimination, racism, homophobia and so on.. But regarding what she said, it could be interpreted as free speech. Regardless I wouldn't take a stand against it.

7. OscarX

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    But how can you not get offended by a coworker, a friend or a classmate who thinks that being gay is a disorder or a choice, I cannot even look in their eyes after knowing that, it makes be feel betrayed I can't help it but wish harm upon them.

8. rokara

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight but curious
    Out Status:
    A few people
    OscarX:

My typical response when I know some one is stating an inflamatory opinion to me is to just smile and politely say "Thank you for your opinion. I will take it into consideration." and walk away.

When someone is being dumb and/or ignorant about something, I usually try and present actual factual information to them and possibly direct them to a book or website they can look at to help further their education about the subject. If the person continues to insist that they are right, I just simply say "OK" and walk away.

Discretion is the better part of valor. Sometimes the best thing you can do is just let those kinds of people be, walk away from them and don't interact with them unless you absolutely have to.

Hopefully that helps you out some. :slight_smile:

9. anthracite

anthracite Guest

Probably she was just annoyed by him.

Think: Annoying person with obvious point of attack (homosexuality) why wouldn't you go to that obvious point?

If the religious chick was my colleugue I would attack on the religion, doesn't mean I can't live with religious people who are nice.

So yeah, this also my advice, if she's stupid towards you probably ask how she can know shit about science with that invisible dude that created everyone.

10. Jax12

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thats what I do as well. When someone makes a remark that is just ridiculous, or has a strong opinion on a subject, I just say "OK". But in my mind I'm just thinking, wow.

There's no point in arguing or trying to educate someone who doesn't want the information to understand. They can do their own thing. I don't like adding fuel to the fire, so to speak, so I'm cautious about being vocal.

11. KyleD

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Family only
    My mantra is as long as someone is not physically violent towards gay people then I give them the opportunity to voice their opinion. I might not agree with it and it might hurt me very much but if the person is not harming me physically then I think it´s ok.

It is no use trying to argue with a homophobe. You will never win because they argue with emotion and not logic. I usually just politely tell people that I disagree with their views and leave it at that.

#11 KyleD, May 23, 2017
    Last edited: May 23, 2017