1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should I talk to a school counsellor?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by loveis4walls, May 21, 2017.

1. loveis4walls

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I know this is kind of silly. But recently I've been thinking my anxiety has been interfering with my ability to pursue my interests and be happy in general. It's really hard to look on the bright side when I think of every possible thing that could go wrong. Because of this, I tend to question and doubt everyone. I doubt all of my own talents and I can rarely enjoy the things I used to. The way I view myself is all based on assumptions of how others think of me. I feel like this might be the cause of ruined relationships with friends, because I push others away and only pursue the friendship if they talk to me first because that way I know they don't hate me or find me disgusting. If someone leaves me on read I always assume they're sick and tired of me. I even end up doubting my own sexuality because I end up thinking I'm only attracted to women because men would never like me or find me desirable. My self esteem has plummeted and I really do not want to put all of this information on the shoulders of my own friends. Would it be fair to talk to a school counsellor for problems like this? Or am I overreacting?

2. Worker Bee

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think you should talk to someone as it's impacting on all areas of your life. You could also read up on CBT (cognitive behavioural therapy) it may help. It's about changing the way you think about things and respond to situations.

loveis4walls likes this.
  3. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I agree. Talking to someone would be a good idea :slight_smile:

loveis4walls likes this.
  4. Hunter8

Loveis4walls, I definitely think you should speak to a counselor you feel comfortable with. I also think that you are a very brave and intelligent person for admitting that you need some help. So many people can't do that, and they just keep suffering in private pain that they don't acknowledge. Good for you for acknowledging it. Now you've opened the door for healing to come in.

loveis4walls likes this.
  5. dcout

I agree, when I was in school I regularly spoke with a counsellor and she helped so much and let me talk about anything and if I didn't feel like talking she'd feel the quietness with random conversation to make me feel comfortable. I think that if I had started counselling earlier or could have carried on after school then I wouldn't be in the closet suffering now.

loveis4walls likes this.