1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Music anxiety?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by WeDreamOfPeace, May 23, 2017.

1. WeDreamOfPeace

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey fellow awesome souls :slight_smile:

As anyone who stalks my posts out there knows, I enjoy thrash/some death/black metal. I love Marilyn Manson, Slayer, Gorgoroth, all that lot. Now, a lot of my music isn't quite so explicit, but some of it is. So yeah.

Now, my father accepts I love rock/metal music. What I don't mention is everything like that above. He is a semi-Christian who, although doesn't identify with any group, still seems to believe in a god, satan etc. I'm afraid he'll find my music taste and think I'm listening to Satanic music. He strongly disapproves of even action and horror films, even horror novels. He strongly believes Halloween is a satanic holiday for example.

So, the other day, just before my Dad was going to sort out my phone, I deleted anything that could be taken as "evil". Then I realized I'd deleted a lot of music I liked. I still have Metallica, Megadeth etc to rock out too, but then it feels more like when I used to sneak headphones on and rock out in libraries :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

I used to only get music I knew the names/content of which would not offend too much. For example, if I wanted death metal I would get Nile not Death or Cannibal Corpse for example. Should I do this again, avoid anything which might "trigger" my Dad? Should I just be me and just tell him I'll like what I like and explain it as entertainment?

Thankyou all :eusa_doh: Peace awesomeness world domination and kittens.(*hug*):thumbsup:

2. Fishtail

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Mah, mayby you can start by showing him the life-stories of the singers/band or
    internews that clearly show the personality of the person/s?

I don't now what else to...

Wait, afterwards listen to songs whit the lyrics/text printed out/on screen that
    are not depressing or can be misunderstood as "hill satan"?

3. Lawrence

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If your dad really does despise action/horror films that much (even the popular & funny ones such as Shaun of the Dead!?), then he's probably not going to understand Extreme Metal

If you think he's just going to be a little shocked, then I'd tell him what you listen to and take it in stride

If you think he's going to overreact, then it's best to keep it secret for now

If you're dealing with files, then you can rename them or hide them where he'll never look. Maybe create misleading and boring folders

If you're dealing with CDs, then you can cover the br00tal CDs with more mundane looking CDs that you know would bore the people who might see it

You could use a safe or even encryption but that might look more suspicious than blending in

Anyway... what type of music does he listen to? Is it really squeaky clean?

4. Shorthaul

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think everyone at one time listens to music their parents don't approve of. Even your grand parents had music their parents found vulgar and obscene.

Either throw it all in one folder named: Metal
    Or rename some of it to something less heart stopping.

I also prefixed some bands when dealing with my parents about it. Which was only Marilyn Manson, which they found offensive. And I agreed, but I wasn't concerned with who he was or how he acted, I just liked the music. And they let it drop. For the explicit lyrics, I would rather hear the swear word than static.

5. WeDreamOfPeace

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Awesome advice guys. No, luckily I'm not dealing with CDs or anything like that. Was just my paranoia. Heck, I clear my search history no matter what I've been looking at because I'm afraid someone will snoop and judge :grin:

Just when I think I'm normal... I'm afraid I'm not normal... then afraid that I'm afraid I'm not normal... *head explodes*

Besides, I have to rediscover some music... I haven't opened my music tastes for a while :slight_smile:

Oh, and Shorthaul, cheers for that Manson tip. I love his music, but am not sure of how he is viewed in my house. He doesn't seem to mind when he hears MM's music though. Woohoo :slight_smile:

Peace awesomeness and small br00tal kittens. You know Slayer's bloodline music video has a kitten in it? Unharmed... even more surprising.

6. Shorthaul

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    #6 Shorthaul, May 28, 2017
    Last edited: May 28, 2017