1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

School Dilemma

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by covert direwolf, May 25, 2017.

1. covert direwolf

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hello there!

I currently go to a private, Catholic school, but I went to public school in my area last year. I thought that I would have to go to public school next year because I didn't get enough money in financial aid, but the Catholic school reconsidered and gave me more money in a scholarship.

Why is this a dilemma?

Well, at the public school, I could graduate early from high school and I would only have 2 years left. At the private school, I would have 3 more years of high school. This is a problem because my parents are both homophobic and transphobic, and I want to be able to be myself as soon as possible.

However, I don't want to leave my friends. There's an underground network so to speak of LGBTQ people at my current school, and it's become a sort of home for me. It's the only place where I've felt like I've belonged.

In addition, going to that school seems morally wrong because the reason that they're able to give me so much money in financial aid is that others had to turn their financial aid down; there are more people than me that are planning on leaving. I also won't get all the classes I want if I go to this school, and they're trying out a new schedule that might not work. The quality of education is better there, though.

At the public school, I don't know if I could make friends. I have social anxiety, so it was very hard to make friends this year. However, I could take art, architecture, and psychology there next year, which I am excited about. I also know people at the school I'd be going to, but it's a double-edged sword; I'm not afraid to be myself anymore, and I don't think my old "friends" would like me that much.

I have no idea what to do. I've tried flipping a coin and observing my reaction, making a pros and cons list, and just plain trying to figure out where my gut is telling me to go.

Any advice is helpful. Sorry this was so long.

2. anthracite

anthracite Guest

it's a private school. Never underestimate how much good that does to your CV. This one year longer might result in some k dollars a month more for you later. Plus a freeer choice of college.

Don't wanna persuade you to anything, but it seems you didn't consider this.

3. Eldrher

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Go with ur heart. Personally, I would go with what I wanted to study at school, so the public school. Keep in contact with ur friends from ur current school as well as studying what u would like and only needing to do 2 more years. Don't worry about money or jobs, do what would make u happier and don't regret the decision once u've made it. I hope u make the right choice x