1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tips for how to perform well for a phone survey caller job?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by teluphone, Mar 2, 2013.

1. teluphone

My university is conducting research study On media censorship in singapore I'm did my first shift today and could only managed to complete 2 surveys each around 15 minutes each over the 4 hour period today and a lot of the time there were people who were downright nasty when they rejected to do the survey which made me feel so gloomy afterwards and also i lost confidence in myself when I saw some others get like 7-8 completed. Does anyone have any tips on how to do better?

By the way I'm also not local Singaporean so my american accent can be a bit of a turn off

2. Dublin Boy

Dublin Boy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Smile at the Dial, they reckon that if you are smiling when your on the phone it comes over on the phone through your voice & makes a good impression on the person on the other end of the call :slight_smile:

3. skiff

skiff Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Difficult to answer... People are really harassed by phone solicitors so expect some level of frustration in general.

Personally, the first breath the solicitor takes I ask to be put on their "do not call list". There is nothing the solicitor could do to change that.

4. teluphone

well my friend told me to not take it personally when you get yelled at but it still doesn't get rid of the bummed out feeling

5. Mike92

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    This.

I have surveyed people on political issues a few times for my university, and if you "smile" and are just positive while talking, you'll be effective. It worked for me.

Practicing is also another good idea so that you don't stutter as you're talking. If you stutter or seem unsure at all at the start of the call, people will hang up. Don't talk too fast or too slow, either. Let the person you're surveying control the pace of the interview. In short, be clear and concise.

I've had some crazy people go nuts on me over the phone (had one guy thinking I was his wife's "friend" on the side), and the best thing to do is just to remin friendly. Don't lose confidence.

Good luck!

#5 Mike92, Mar 2, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2013
  6. teluphone

thanks so much Mike92. I'm trying not to lose morale over my first shift of the job and hopefully gain greater experience