1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Awful things written on my Dry-erase board on my door

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by animequeen567, Mar 3, 2013.

1. animequeen567

Okay, at my dorm on my door I have a dry erase board which I use to either draw cute little pictures or say that I'm not there. Well, for the past few months there have been awful things written on it by I don't even know who. I thought it was one friend writing things just because he thought he was funny which he did admit to writing a few things, but I don't think it's just him...To put it simply, there are a lot of mean girls that live on my floor. Most of them don't like me because one of the girls spread a rumor about me that I don't want to get into (because it's something gross that has to do with an incident in the floor's bathroom that I didn't even have anything to do with). Basically people have written that I like girls on there frequently (which I don't want the world to know, I will tell people that ask, but there are some really hateful people at my college that I don't want to deal with...). Then there's crude things like people ruining my pictures by drawing (why is this so hard to say....) penises on them. Then theres weird random crap that doesn't even make any sense. Then theres just the fact that some people ruin anything I write or draw on the board by erasing them with their hand. What was written today though really just hit me right in the chest. Someone wrote the word "whore" on my board. That just for some reason really upset me. I know that it's not true because I'm a virgin and I've never even been on a real date before. I even tell people I've never been on a date before; it's well known that I've never been even. But still, the fact that someone would write that about me...it really just hit me. I don't know what to do. Should I ignore it like I always do, should I tell my RA that it keeps happening , or should I just not deal with it and take my board down or leave my marker in my room? This really is upsetting me. I don't understand people. I don't understand why they hate me....I didn't do anything....I try to be the nicest person I can be, and I'm always polite to everyone, EVERYONE! I'm not even mean to the people that don't like me. I don't do anything wrong, but no one even tries to get to know me. They all make assumptions. They assume stupid things that aren't even true. I can't take it. I just can't take it. I can't move. I can't do anything. I'm stuck here til the end of the year. Why are people so mean to me....? :icon_sad:

2. therunawaybff

Oh hon, I'm so sorry. (*hug*) There is NO reason for people to be treating you this way. From what I hear, girls in dorm situations can turn into real bitches.

I would tell your RA about it. Whoever is defacing your property deserves to be punished. If they don't do anything about it, you might want to put a small sign at the bottom of your white erase board that says something to the effect of:

You are on hidden camera. Smile! :slight_smile:

And then actually hide a small digital video recorder somewhere in the hallway to catch those assholes. You can get one at a private eye shop or online for fairly cheap.

3. Ridiculous

I'm sorry to hear you're going through this.
    You say your friend used to jokingly write things - have you talked to him about it to see if he knows who is doing the recent ones?

Is it possible to move to another floor?

Some of this may not be directed at you - walking down a hall and seeing an unsupervised whiteboard and marker is a really hard temptation for some people to resist. It still doesn't make it okay, but don't immediately assume that it is all intentionally targeting you.

It's not your fault; it's them that have the problem. Think of it this way: at least they are showing themselves to be awful people right away, so you won't be wasting any time on them. Some people you just don't want in your life at all, so take it as a blessing that they are making it easy for you to put them into that group.

4. BoiGeorge

BoiGeorge Guest

People are idiots. Im so sorry for what they do to you. Hopefully they'll grow up an mature soon and stop being such morons

5. Van

Van

I'm sorry that you have to deal with this. People can be really cruel. Stay strong. (*hug*)

6. Acobi

Acobi Guest

Tell your RA! You do not deserve this treatment, and these people are not people you need to keep in touch with later in years anyways if this is how they act. You have nothing to lose by moving dorm halls.

This is incredibly inappropriate and your RA will be understanding and help you make the best decision (that is their job and they are there to give you the healthiest and most positive dorm experience.) Seek them out and go from there.

I'm sorry you have to experience this, (*hug*) and my best wishes for you in this problem.

7. Minx

Like others have said: Report it to your RA.

Anyone writing that crap (other than your friend) is childish, cowardly, and jealous for whatever reason. Don't even give it the time of day.

Wipe it clean whenever you have to, and draw a smiley face. :slight_smile:

8. Ianthe

You should definitely report it to your RA (in writing, and keep a copy for your records), and if nothing improves, you can also report it to the police. It's harassment, and it's illegal. There may not be very much they can do about it, but at least they would have it on record that homophobic harassment is happening to students on campus.

Start documenting it--take pictures of what they do to your board every day.

I think this is important not only in case it keeps happening, but in case it escalates in some way. You want to have everything documented that's been going on.

I'm sorry you have to deal with this.

9. photoguy93

This is terrible! You don't deserve to be treated like this - no one does.

However, you said you don't want people to know, but you are telling people if they ask? Sometimes, I think people have major issues with that.

I'd talk to your friends and see if they know anything. This is EXTREMELY childish, and I really can't believe someone would do this. I really wonder if it is your "friend(s)." Has the RA said anything? I mean, it's a penis... on a door. It's not like that's going to blend in.

I hope you can get this all figured out!

10. animequeen567

Thank you guys. I'm gonna start documenting this and get some proof. I'm going to take some pictures of what I see. Then I'm gonna tell my RA about it. Thank you guys so much for all your kind words :slight_smile:

11. Lez

Lez

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Glad to hear that you are going to tell the RA. Hang in there!(*hug*)(*hug*)

12. thinthinline

If it doesn't resolve after telling your RA, remove the marker. And if it keeps happening, then whoever it is is really on a vendetta to take the time to go get another marker to write on your board, and you'll have to take the board down. Hopefully sometime soon they'll just get bored with being a jerk.

13. PeteNJ

I feel awful for you, you don't deserve this. HUGS

And yes, you got some great advice. Take pics (that may be painful, but do it so you can show your RA what's going on). And then really consider moving elsewhere.

14. CountessAbby

I agree with the above advice. You do not have to be fodder for other peoples unkind prejudices. Be proactive in stopping it. Tell the RA. Remove the board. Seek out some friends who appreciate you for who YOU are. Good Lord. Gender preference is a reason for people to be derelicts? I tell my son he is like a pie with 32 pieces and his being gay is only one teeny piece of that pie. Girls are bitches..my daughter dealt with horrors in junior high and she is straight. They are dreadful mean. She later went to a very high male population college 85% guys and she LOVED it. My gay son who is 16 tells me how awful and mean the girls are and I do believe he is right. You need to find a group of friends who will support you. These girls are just ignorant and mean and they are acting like highschool. Perhaps its not the right floor, the right building or even the right school for you but you can and should make some "changes" that will at least allow you to be yourself and not be BULLIED. Because make no mistake this IS bullying. It should be reported and should NOT be tolerated by your college. I am so fearful for my son's college because he is gay. I think picking where you attend is a key but we dont always get as many options as we would like. I wish you well and please hang in there. I dont know who these people are but I hope there are some nice people out there you can be friends with who dont give a hoot about your personal life. Its such a NON issue but there are always people who are bullies, who will judge you, and will be hateful. What doesnt kill you makes you stronger but dont let them beat you down. Do not become a victim. If you have to get out of that building then do so. Stick up for yourself.

---------- Post added 4th Mar 2013 at 08:18 AM ----------

Weird thing is that the girls at school all flock around my son.....they love him. He came out of history class the other day and got 7 hugs from 7 girls. But there were girls in junior hi who were terribly mean and he says he still cannot believe how awful they are. I think a lot of girls love LOVE the gay guys...but they arent very good at tolerating a girl who has any differences. I dont know why. Anyone who is different makes them a bit nervous I guess....I dont get girls. But I know there are others like you out there. If its a bigger university you need to find your own "peeps." When my daughter arrived at school it was like a different world. She said "Mom! I have found MY people!" And she adored every single day up there for 5 years. Sometimes the college just isnt a good "fit"