1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do straight children want to marry same-sex friends?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Parsley, Mar 3, 2013.

1. Parsley

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I was thinking (which I've probably been doing too much lately) and I got wondering if it is normal for children to declare that they want to marry their best friends that are the same gender?

I distinctly recall declaring that when I grew up I was going to marry my best friend (a girl) when I was about five or six years old. I was told by my friend's horrified mother that girls can't marry each other. So I decided I could marry her younger brother so that my friend and I could always be together. Secretly I still wanted to marry her, not her brother. This went on for a few years, but timelines are fuzzy remembering that far back.

Is this something kids just do because they don't understand grown up concepts? Or is this an early indication that I was gay?

2. DeanIsHome

I don't know if straight kids do this cause i did the same thing in Kindergarten and my friends mom was like "I'd love it if you could!" too bad they moved...

3. Femme

Straight kids feel that way too. I planned to marry my best guy friend and announced I would in 5th grade. My straight sister said she was going to marry her best female friend when she was young maybe 2nd grade. I'm with a woman and she is married to a man. Ironic, isn't it?

4. Oddish

Oddish Guest

My best friend (whom is pansexual), and myself, declared at age 10 that we were going to get married and grow old together. At age 16 this morphed into "I know I'm going to move into some shitty apartment with you, eat mac and cheese meals, buy cats and end up getting drunk and having sex with you."

But I do remember as a young lass.. playing house on the playground when I was in year 3. And two girls played the rolls of wife and husband, and today they're straight and things. I just think we have vivid imagination as children, and don't really pay attention to the concept of sexuality when it comes to "marrying" your best buddy, if they're of the same sex.

It could've been a subtle hint for me, but nah.. I know plenty of straight children who've done the same thing.

5. Kgirl

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Not sure really... my cousin said this type of thing when he was a kid but he turned out straight.