1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

skype call

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by MerBear, Mar 4, 2013.

1. MerBear

Okay so me and my ex are going to Skype tonight and the last time we skyped was really awkward because i really was nervous and so was she but i made a complete fool out of myself

so i need advice on how not to be so nervous when i skype with her.

this would only be are 2nd skype call

and we've been talking for 9 months now so i dont know why i would be nervous but she makes me nervous

so any advice how not to get so nervous and worked up?

2. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Can you turn your camera off, at least temporarily? Would that make things easier for you?

Lex

3. MerBear

haha thats funny actually.

our last skype call was screwed up because my camera wasn't working so she couldnt see my face but i have a laptop now so it should work now

but maybe it would

4. MerBear

any other advice?

5. Last Gentleman

Turn your screen off (ie, minimize skype so you can't see any video).
    This will make it be more like a normal phone call and might make you relax a bit more.

6. Kgirl

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Just make sure you look at her face and not yours. Try and forget that it's on camera... pretend you're in the room with her. I agree it's awkward, particularly if people in your house can hear you.

7. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yes. If there's a separate window that shows what you look like, close it. You're there to talk to her, not look at you. :slight_smile:

Lex

8. StarNights

StarNights Guest

I also have this problem with my, well, whatever she is. We've been writing for months and recently started skyping, started off with no mics and now friday we're gonna speak both of us. But however, my experience is that since we both were very honest to each other about how weird and awkward it felt from the beginning, we kind of loosened up. We usually start by writing some lines and then like "are you ready? does it still feel awkward?" and if so we just continue writing. This is to us a very good way to make things not as awkward and uncomfortable.

9. Oddish

Oddish Guest

Whenever I skype with my friends, we always start off with a voice chat so we can just talk with our mics while we game/browse the internet/do homework. We rarely ever get on cam unless if we're in a multiple video call and we're all discussing things.

It's definitely a lot less pressure on you if you just voice chat for a bit, I would assume. :slight_smile: