1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is "cute" a good compliment for guys?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Jude95, Mar 5, 2013.

1. Jude95

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Why do girls always call me cute. I hardly get any compliments like handsome or good-looking. Shouldn't cute be a word to describe a toddy bear, rather than a guy? I admit that I have a baby face, but I'm in no way feminine. Do gay men like this kind of appearance?

2. Winfield

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    cute is a compliment... i call attractive people cute whether its a girl or guy...

i dont use other terms as i think its a bit old school....

thats my opinion anyway, some one else may think differ

3. Dublin Boy

Dublin Boy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I find the word Cute a compliment, they normally say "you have a cute face" or you have got a Cute smile" :slight_smile:

4. castle walls

I've called guys cute before. I don't think most people use the word "handsome" that much these days

5. myheartincheck

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I can't imagine why it WOULDN'T be a compliment. :slight_smile:

6. therunawaybff

I do, but I'm sort of weird and old-fashioned that way I guess.

I don't usually call people cute, but I do see (and take it) as a compliment. Nick has called me cute, but he usually only does it to annoy me because I'm a little shorter than he is.

Handsome or hot, that's usually my judgement call.

7. Kidd

Kidd Guest

I definitely think it is. It's just a very general compliment to get, and just because someone thinks you're "cute" it doesn't mean they don't also think you're "handsome" or "sexy" or whatever else you'd rather hear. Those are just much more intimate compliments to give to someone.

As far as whether gay men like that kind of appearance or not, of course some do. Some people do have a type that they prefer. Whatever your body type is, someone out there is fetishizing it right now. Bears, twinks, daddies, muscleheads, anything. Personally, I am extremely baby-faced. I'm almost 22 and I could pass for 16 or 17 on a good day. A baby face is definitely not a bad thing. In my own experience, I've noticed that I tend to attract older and more "masculine" guys. Not obscenely older, but guys in the 24-28 age range. I've never had a problem picking up, meeting, or dating guys. I had never been called handsome until a few weeks ago, when I was laying in bed with someone and he said it to me. I'd been dating him for nearly three months at that point and it was the first time he'd said it to me.

So, don't worry about it. It's a very arbitrary thing that is pretty meaningless in the end.

8. Whiteboymdew

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Whatever I see a guy. I always say oh wow hes cute and I usually laugh haha. I dont know.

9. FemCasanova

I think cute is a word used a lot, especially if the person is shy, or not confident enough, doesn`t have a habit of using or simply don`t feel comfortable using compliments like handsome or hot. Hot is more the kind of word you say to your friends about someone from a distance, not often something someone goes directly out saying. And handsome sounds a little gentleman-ish, but maybe that`s just because people don`t use it as often in everyday speech nowadays (or so it seems). Cute covers both that you have an approachable and appealing look, as well as a comfortable and pleasant personality. If there`s an extra spark in your eyes or smile, you`ll often be told that you are cute.

I call my girlfriend cute, but not because she is feminine, more because she has that sparkly bubbly personality thing going on, and when she gets red cheeks. That`s appealing, and cute.

So, I`d take it as a compliment, if I were you :grin:

10. Zaio

Zaio Guest

Yes, cute is a good word, it's a word used when someone is attracted to a certain quality in you. If they say you have a cute smile, it means they're attracted to it. Don't turn a compliment into an insult based on insecurities about masculinity. I like being called cute and calling my guy cute.

I think cute is just a safer word to use, as there is an aura of ambiguity to it. I think it sounds safer than saying hot/attractive, as many people think that people are only after them for their looks when those words are used, whereas cute is really the same thing, but more neutral, whereas to me, handsome seems like an older word to use, so it's pretty meaningless to me.

cute
    /kyo͞ot/
    Adjective
    Attractive in a pretty or endearing way.
    Sexually attractive.
    Synonyms
    pretty - clever - lovely - nice - smart - sweet

All the best.

11. Lewnatic

From experience, you're either cute or you're hot. I've been attracted to guys where I would tell them or a friend or whatever that I think they're hot, but sometimes I may see a guy and think he's cute. It sounds weird, but both are compliments. Of course many of us would prefer being thought of as hot by potential love interests, but hey not everyone can be cute either.

12. TestingitOut

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I always get called cute too. Yeah its a compliment, but theres something slightly emasculating about it, even if its not the intent of the person saying. Im certainly not offended by it though. And its nice to get complimented anyway.

Maybe because of my experience, I dont refer to guys as cute. Puppies are cute, babies are cute. I call men good looking, handsome, and if hes really got it going on, gorgeous.

13. 4AllEternity

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Being cute is different than being attractive. Cute usually implies some sort of feminine attractiveness (it doesn't necessarily mean you look like a girl, it just means you have a feminine sort of beauty to your looks), whereas handsome is usually more masculine.

I personally prefer to look cute. It's just the kind of personality I have, I'm comfortable being a guy, but I have a feminine sort of side to me. A girl I met at a dance recently told me she thought I was cute, which pleasantly surprised me ^_^.

Anyways, I'd say most gay guys would feel complimented if they were called cute. Of course, if that word doesn't really describe them well it might weird them out (i.e if the guy who is apparently cute is going for a masculine, rugged look).

14. Dalmatian

I see hot as "I guess most gay guys would like him", handsome as "straight girls could like him" and cute as "my heart whimpers" :slight_smile: So yes, I think it's positive.

I'd like to hear someone call me cute, I really would. I don't think that's likely, though.

15. Quisto

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I've been called cute by guys many times. I would hope it's a compliment, haha. :slight_smile: Hot and cute do seem to have different connotations, I've noticed. Hot appears to be more for people that have more striking attractive qualities, while cute is more for subtle physical attractiveness...at least, that's how I believe it comes across. Both are nice and welcomed compliments, I would say!

16. Yui

Yui

^This :slight_smile:
    To qualify as cute you'll usually need some feminine (facial) features: big eyes, full lips, small nose - but it doesn't mean looking feminine as a whole. I know a guy who is like the cutest thing ever with huge bambi eyes and a small, slightly upturned nose but at the same time he has a very masculine jawline so he definitely doesn't look like a girl.

For me, calling someone cute can also mean that that person is nice and does cute things, so it's not completely focused on appearance.

Take it as a compliment :thumbsup:

17. BudderMC

I actually second this. For me it seems guys are either "cute" or "hot". But to me, I also associate "hot" with "out of my league", and "cute" with "approachable".

I don't think cute is really associated with masculinity or femininity.

I'd want to date a cute guy, personally. :slight_smile:

18. Jude95

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I just typed "cute guys" on the Google Image; half of the pictures were Justin-bieber-looking guys:frowning2:

19. newdown

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    It's a great compliment.

20. Gravity

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I hope it's a compliment - it's a word I apply openly to my significant other when I'm dating. :lol:

It's also a relative term though. "Cute" doesn't always mean "Bieber-looking," even if it's exactly that for some people. I use it to describe big hairy guys - football players are "cute" to me. And I find "cute" in general very attractive, not something that I would pat over the head and leave on the shelf (teddy-bear style).

So, if someone's calling you cute, take the compliment. :slight_smile: