1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Religion and safety

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Romandude, Mar 7, 2013.

1. Romandude

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight but curious
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Because I'm not completely sure of my sexuality , I'm not sure if this applies completely, but it might be a phase thing that il grow out of but if it isn't and I do eventually come out my life could very well be in danger. But I'm going to talk about religion first. Because I am living in an extremely Christian household the whole not strait thing might mean rejection from my father who is usually always ther for me even though he is a pastor. Everywhere I look online or in the bible it says that homosexual lit is a sin because homosexuals cannot reproduce. But it also says that god created man in his own image. I have absolutely no way of knowing what side he will take.

The other part is my safety. Because I live in southern California the gang population is tremendously high. Just last year there could have been a shooting at my school but the cops busted the gang a few days before. Even if I tell a close friend or change my preferences on face book somehow people will find out and eventually the hate will begin, starting with language then to violence and eventually to threats against my life( I know because it's happened to other people)

All this drama and the usual highschool shit has driven me to the thought of suicide as a quick way to end it all. I need some advice and quick.

2. cm81990

cm81990 Guest

First off you need to relax dude. Understand there are people that hide their sexuality well into their 40s! You are only 14. You have many many many years ahead of you. Based on your situation, I would not recommend coming out. I know being in the closet kind of sucks and you have to be secretive about everything, but you need to weigh in the costs vs. benefits. In your situation, there is high risk admitting your sexuality. I was in the same boat as you at your age. I'm 22 and still not out. As you get a little bit older, the Internet is a great resource to find other LGBT teens. If you do have sexual feelings for girls, stick with just them for now. If you don't, then you will have to learn how to play the whole "straight charade." It's probably not right for me to help you pretend to be straight, but given your situation you may have to put on a show for a little while.

3. AKTodd

Regarding religion: there are plenty of straight people who cannot reproduce for various reasons. Are they engaging in sin? There are vast numbers of straight people who actively take steps not to reproduce. Are they sinning?

Regarding your safety: You certainly shouldn't risk your safety or life. However, it sounds like safet is a general issue for you regardless of orientation. More importantly you won't be in your school or location forever. Once you graduate moving is an option.

Just some thoughts,

Todd

4. burg

hey sorry your in this situation man.im with the other posters with dont feel pressured to come out.you can still consider telling friends or family who could keep your secrete but you have years ahead of you and always come vent here on ec.

5. Aldrick

Hey, Romandude. (*hug*)

First of all, coming out is a choice not a requirement. What is most important is that you move toward accepting yourself - whatever your sexual orientation may be. You haven't even come to terms with whether or not you're gay, yet. So, coming out at this point is a bit like jumping the gun. Although, I can totally understand your desire to reach out and talk to others close to you about what you're feeling and going through... this can be problematic for obvious reasons. However, this is what EC exists for, so you have the community here to talk too.

Second, have you checked for a LGBT Center in your area? Do you know of any place where you can get support from others outside of your home?

Third, even after you've come to acknowledge your sexual orientation - whatever that may be - you still don't have to come out until you feel safe and ready. In a perfect world, you'd be able to come out and date other guys just as other guys date girls around your age... and this *is* an option in some places. In other places, it is more difficult and poses potential risks and dangers. This is something you have to decide for yourself.

Fourth, if you decide to remain in the closet until you feel safe and ready - there is no shame in that. Turn your focus toward academic pursuits, and doing your best to get into a good college. Once you're off to college - then your entire life opens up before you in ways that you currently can't even imagine. Learning to love and accept who you are now, will help you later when you're ready to come out.

Also, keep in mind that while four years might seem like a long time right now... it's not. Trust me, I wish four years was a long time, but it goes by much faster than you think.

Fifth, no one can tell you're gay just by looking at you. The only way anyone will know that you're gay is if you tell them, or they catch you with another guy. Outside of that, the worst that can happen is speculation, and that's all it is - speculation.

Finally, sixth - the religion aspect of your post. As you can imagine, this comes up a lot. I just finished writing a rather long message in another thread, and I'll put it down below in spoiler tags. Reading it may help you out.

6. therunawaybff

Based on your personal situation as you've described it here, I would wait to come out until you're older and a little better prepared to defend yourself (in various ways). Right now, it doesn't sound safe. College sounds like it may be a good time. Maybe plan to go away for school, in a more liberal/secure area? You have many years to plan this, so you could really optimize your choices.

Here is my opinion as a Christian who was raised in a similar household (zealous, fundamentalist, whatever). To my understanding, if your father is a true Christian, even if he disapproves of the "sin", he is still obligated to love the "sinner". So any reactions to you that are less than loving are un-Christian.

"'Love your neighbor as yourself.' There is no commandment greater than these."

So, worse comes to worst, you'll always have Mark 12:30-31 to fall back on. It is very difficult to interpret that scripture negatively against you, and very difficult for him to defend as anything less than a direct defiance of God.

Love God, love the world, and put nothing before those two things. Really hard to screw up, yet people manage to do it all the time. It's typically an Old Testament vs. New Testament issue, as far as I'm concerned. The former tends to be cherry-picked for historical savagery (when the culture of the time was basically on par with the radical Middle East), while the latter is interpreted for the philosophy and ethics of Christ Himself.

Guess which one I'd put emphasis on?

Don't worry. I come from the same house and I got out. It does get better. (*hug*)

When I come out to my dad this is the one I'm going to hit if things get really bad:

"Woe to you, teachers of the law and Pharisees, you hypocrites! You shut the door of the kingdom of heaven in people’s faces. You yourselves do not enter, nor will you let those enter who are trying to."

#6 therunawaybff, Mar 8, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2013
  7. Romandude

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight but curious
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Thanks guys this really helped alot:slight_smile: