1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why can't I get over her?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Mackattack, Mar 8, 2013.

1. Mackattack

Mackattack Guest

My ex girlfriend and I dated on and off for over a year and about a month and a half ago she broke up with me again, and told me it was just a "break" and that we'd be getting back together eventually, but I know (Have known for some time) that it was just really over and done with her and me. We stopped talking whenever we had a break from each other and then we'd start talking and dating again in the past. I met up with her yesterday because I owed her some cash so I met up with her and paid her back and she was telling me how she met this guy (she's bi) and how he tells her he really likes her and she likes him and how he finally asked her out the night before last. When she told me that I died a little inside even though I know it's been over with her and me for a long time now. It wasn't the best relationship anyway, it was toxic and she wasn't always honest to me and so I didn't trust her 100% of the time (which to me pretty much says what kind of a relationship was it if I couldn't even trust her. Not a very good one for sure.) But there's still a part of me that misses her. I know I'm better off without her, and I deserve better, but I still miss her.

I've been talking to someone about this and she's been giving me her input on it and she's been telling me that she thinks I just need to get over my ex, and I know that she's right, I do need to get over her, I've been trying to, but she wants to stay friends with me and I'd like to stay friends with her as well, but it's easier for me if I have no contact with her to help me get over her. Even though I realize it wasn't a very good or healthy relationship, I can't seem to get over her and I don't know why. Why would I want someone who was always breaking up with me, and wasn't always 100% honest with me anyway? Why is it so hard for me to get over this one? :tantrum:

I just needed to vent I guess, because after I typed all of this, I felt better. Does anyone have any tips on how to get over an ex? Thanks for your thoughts! :slight_smile:

2. myheartincheck

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    No, no, no!

Stop telling yourself you need to get over her and don't listen to that friend! It's only been a month and a half and you have to cut off contact with this girl and allow yourself to feel like crap! It's the only way you'll be able to move on!

Hell, it's been four and a half months and I'm still getting over someone. You need to work through your grief not avoid it! If you have feelings for someone it may take a year or two before you feel like you can truly move on IF you work through your grief in a healthy way! (I heard this from a Psychologist)

I'm not saying sit around and do nothing while she moves on but allow yourself to cry oceans and punch things. DO NOT feel guilty or it will make the grief worse!

Hugs honey~<3

3. Mogget

It takes time, and it takes disengagement. I had to completely cut off contact with my ex before I could even begin to get over him.

4. Mackattack

Mackattack Guest

I think that's what I'm going to have to do as well for me to get over my ex.

Thanks for the inputs, I'm feeling much better since I had posted this! :slight_smile:

5. Naomilly92

I know exactly what you're going through, and the fast and easiest way to get over her is to get closure, you see, part of you still thinks that there may still be a chance that you and her will get back together, even though you know it's over, you need that clarification, you need her to tell her that there's no way you and her will get back together and that she's over you, it will hurt, it will be painful, that's how you know you still care, but it will get better and it will help you move on, in a way, it's you saying goodbye to that part of your life in a formal way.

My ex told me I needed closure from a past relationship, but I didn't take his advice, after our break up, I used his advice and got closure from our relationship, it helped me move on, cause I was really struggling with the breakdown of the relationship, it was take to hard, but I'm now in the process of getting over him, and things are getting better