1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Alone

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by xashesxx, Mar 11, 2013.

1. xashesxx

xashesxx Guest

So recently I've realized that I am close to no one. I live with some family right now, so I've got them, but I'm not super close to any of them. They all have other people in their lives. So I've been spending a lot of time alone. Now, when I say a lot. I mean, a lot. There may be people around me, but I'm still alone. My friends are all dating someone or married. A few even have kids. So they're busy. I was super close to one friend, but she has finally gotten her sh*t together and gotten a full time job to support her daughter. So I don't blame her for being busy. I am however having a serious issue now that I've spent several months only having small conversations with my family, and occasionally a friend. I can't have a real conversation with anyone. It's almost as if my brain goes blank. I can't think of anything to say, so we just end up silent. This is mainly happening with co-workers as I don't go out anymore. I'm not one to just go out on my own and meet new people so I'm not sure what to do. I don't want to be alone anymore and I'm having an extremely hard time with this. I can feel myself changing in a bad way. I want to stop this before I become a recluse and avoid people all together. I don't know how though. I attempted to talk about this once before, but my friend blew me off and just said I needed to lighten up. So it worries me to bring it up to anyone else. If you guys could help me, that would be amazing. I can't seem to talk to anyone anymore. It's getting really hard. I'll start a sentence and then it almost seems like I get bored immediately or something and give up. I don't know what to do. I'm starting to hate myself for this. I don't want to be alone. I do want to be around people. I'm tired of being alone all the time. I need some human interaction but I don't know where to start. I'm getting scared.

2. AKTodd

Could you potentially volunteer somewhere that would give you the opportunity to interact with people around a common shared interest or task? Not exactly a major bonding event, but could open up the possibility of more if you and the other volunteers go out for coffee or something afterward that involves more general converation.

Clubs and sports teams are also a possibility. Anything from bowling to flag football may be an option in your area as well as things like singing groups, cooking groups, foodies, etc. There might be a friendly church in the area that hosts various social events if you're into that kind of thing. Meetup seems to be a popular online option that my partner and I are just starting to check out in our area. You can look on their website and see what is going on in yours.

The main thing with all of these is that they are getting you around people and require a certain amount of interaction around the common task everyone is working on. Which might get you 'back in practice' in regards to talking to people and such and eventually being comfortable socializing on a more general level.

Just a thought or two. Hope this helps,

Todd:slight_smile:

3. TwoMethod

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's sounds like I'm being harsh, but in some shape or form, your friend was kind-of right. You do need to lighten up.

But that is not acknowledging what you're going through. But I'm the kind of person — like you — who sometimes feels it's easier to just not make an effort. A lot of the time, it's actually easier to just sit at home and wallow in it. Sometimes, I ask myself what the point of making an effort is — it's simply comfortable to sit and home and not force myself to interact.

You have to acknowledge that you, and only you, have the power to break this vicious circle. The more you stay at home and avoid connecting with others, the harder it becomes to ever even consider trying to meet and connect with new people.

Trust me, I know a lot of people, and I'm one of them, who actually need to force themselves to try and get on and get out there and make friends. And I don't enjoy it. It's awful. But it is far better than sitting at home and bathing in my own self pity.

What I had to force myself to do was make small steps. As in, every day, I made one small new step that allowed me to "get back out there" and interact with people. Whether it was talking to someone new in school, or saying "Hi" to someone I hadn't spoken to in a few years, it had to be something ... something that forced me to go beyond my social comfort zone.

And you need to do this. It's actually quite easy to say that you "don't know how to interact" or whatever. Trust me: very few people know how to act.

What you need to do is to fake it. Fake it. Fake it until you start feeling like you belong somewhere. And you don't need to just fake it until you make it, but you have to fake it until you actually become it.

The previous poster has some good suggestions on how to make some steps. But you knew all of these. You know what you can do to improve your situation. You just need to go out and force yourself to do it.

4. xashesxx

xashesxx Guest

Thanks for the advice AKTodd. I'll have to look into some volunteering options. I have been thinking about trying to volunteer at an animal shelter. At least then I could meet people with a common interest.

TwoMethod, it does sound a bit harsh, but the part that bothered me when she said it wasn't what she said exactly. It's the fact that every little thing that goes wrong with her I have to listen to, and if I try and get her to move on from the subject and get her to drop it (doesn't matter how nice I am) she gets pissed and won't talk to me. I haven't been able to talk to her about anything going on with myself cuz it's literally all about her. I'm frustrated with how selfish she is. However, it doesn't much matter anymore, since we only talk about once a month now.

I think you're right though. I am going to have to just get out there and break out of my comfort zone. I don't work with people my age and I don't go to school and I think that's what makes it more difficult. I'm going to just have to try and do what I can.

Thank you both for your advice! I really do appreciate it!!

5. FractiousJ

Out Status:
    Some people
    I just wanted to add book clubs as a suggestion if you're into reading.

Regarding not being good at talking to people I'd suggest reading How to Talk to Anyone by Leil Lownde. It has a lot of techniques that you can use that are pretty simple. I like to think of using them as experiments to see what reaction I get, keeps me from getting too nervous and makes interactions seem like less of a big deal. Parroting is a fun one to try, its really helpful when you can't think of something to say.

6. brightside80

There are wise people here in EC :slight_smile:

xashex.. you posting on here is good because you've helped to open up a conversation that many others are probably thinking about.

I know for me too, sometimes its easier to just not make the effort. But I've learned too from sometimes taking a risk.

Start with baby steps like Two said. Wise people.

Don't fake it. Be you. But, for sure just talk about anything and everything that is interesting. Trust me, you can talk about food, a joke you heard, etc. :slight_smile:

I definitely agree with the first poster and that you should find somewhere to volunteer. It helps. Though you may not talk that much at first, someone may do alot of the talking to you or with you..annd you will do a lot of listening. Or maybe you'll just after a while start having conversations with the "regulars" there. It's worth it.

You are awesome, and know that you can do it. :slight_smile:

7. xashesxx

xashesxx Guest

I didn't think about a book club! That would be fun, I do love to read.

Part of the problem I'm running into is that I know what I want to say, but a lot of the time I can't say it the way I want to. I've occasionally had the problem where it's not even the words I want to say. Like I'll start talking and then I just end up mumbling and not making any sense. I know I'm doing it, but I can't seem to help it. It's like my brain decides it doesn't want to work and freezes. It's really weird. Then I get nervous and just decide to keep quiet.

I'm also very very self conscious. I don't like myself, so I'm afraid no one else will like me either. I'm always on edge and worried that someone is going to judge me. I try to remind myself that no one's opinion matters, and I need to just be myself. It works most of the time, but when it really matters I get nervous and that little voice in my head tells me I'm not good enough.

I dunno, I know that I need to just get out there and meet some people. Get over my being self conscious and just try to meet some people. I want to be happy so badly that I will try almost anything at this point..