1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

would working in a charity shop help my current job?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by sunnii, Mar 13, 2013.

1. sunnii

I work at a supermarket and am contracted to about 23 hours but I don't do anything else like another job or uni or anything. Usually I get overtime (normally ill get like a 7 hour shift instead of four) but after last Xmas the store as a whole has quietened down. I'm just working my contract hours and my 5pm-9pm shifts are dire with almost all the work completed before I come in and even though there is always something I could do ie cleaning, helping others out it does demoralise, demotivate and make you lazy. Whenever I do get offered overtime its crap shifts.

I can get frustrated with my job because I feel like I'm not good at it but I try and I help out a lot ie overtime but I don't get appreciated. A lot of times on my shifts during the weekends I'm left with a lot to do and I'm left alone to do it. And when I actually do get it all done no one saw it so it never happened. But that can happen with any job so I digress.

My point is I want to improve but because of this tougher time its harder yo get an opportuinity (for the record I'm very grateful to have my job etc) and I need something more in my life since I don't study or have a 2nd job. I thought about volunteering at a charity shop. I did it a couple of years ago to get work experience and I really enjoyed it. Do you think it would teach me more about the retail industry? Could it make me better at my other job? I know a charity shop is much different to a supermarket and I'm only a "mere worker" but still Tbh probs be a good idea anyway if I could work a day I start ay 5 as it would give ne something to do instead of hanging about till 5

2. Hard Candy

Hard Candy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    It will. That will be a great decision. It might even help you have a bteer job than what you have now.

3. Dublin Boy

Dublin Boy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    It's all Customer Service experience at the end of the day, the more you can put on your CV the better, plus you get to help a Charity out :slight_smile:

4. Given To Fly

At the very least it will look good on your CV, and it may give you new skills. Go for it :slight_smile:

5. nonotreally

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    FYI, all the shops I subsequently applied for jobs at after I worked at a charity shop didn't care about the fact that I'd worked at a charity shop (it's actually pretty much the only work experience I have). Didn't seem to count. In fact, I'd say your current job would count for more in future applications. However, as you have nothing to lose you may as well go for it. Plus it'll probably be more stimulating and life enriching than your other job.