1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Priest

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by scheibe, Mar 13, 2013.

1. scheibe

Thinking about becoming a priest. I grew up in a very conservative catholic household. I'm heavily in the closet and don't think I'll ever come out because of my family+religion. So I was thinking I could join the priest hood. I'd be living with men my entire life and be devoted to God. I wouldn't have to worry about marriage or children. Is this a good idea?

2. Femme

Let me start by saying that I am a catholic. I do not suggest joining the priesthood if you are joining in an attempt to avoid dealing with your same sex attractions.

While the priesthood as it currently exists is in desperate need of reform, I would not want someone to rule out a vocation if they genuinely feel a calling. That being said, you have not mentioned wanting to be a priest because of your faith but wondering if not being straight will impact on this vocation because of the current teaching or omission of homosexuality as a legitimate expression of love.

If you do not feel a calling, do not become a priest. Similarly, if you do not love a woman, do not marry her.

I'm glad you are here. Stick around and know that this is a place for support.

3. scheibe

Aren't most men in the priesthood gay+closeted though? Wouldn't I fit in?

4. Femme

I happen to know quite a few priests and the majority of those that I know do not admit same sex attractions, nor do I "wonder." I would think that the percentage if gay men is higher but I do not think that most are gay. I do think that a good percentage have unhealthy feelings or issues due to forced "celibacy" and some unhealthy thoughts about how sex is bad.

5. vhrebels

vhrebels Guest

Becoming a priest would be a great thing! If you want to do it, go for it! I'm a christian, but I'm not catholic, so I'm not really sure what the qualifications are, but you could definitely help a lot of people if you feel a calling to become a priest.

6. Ridiculous

No, don't. At least not because of the reasons you have listed. It would just be running away from your problems - it won't make them go away and they will just be more difficult to overcome when you finally get to that point.

Tell us what is going on that makes you feel that the only option is to hide yourself and become a priest. Why can't you come out? What is your family and religion doing to prevent you?

7. BiWidow

If you want to enter the priesthood to avoid dealing your sexuality, then don't do it. Your feelings toward men will not go away and you will regret your decision to become a priest. As others have said, the priesthood is a calling, a vocation. If God wants you to do this, He will find a way to tell you.

When I was younger, I wanted to be a nun. Now, I think it was a way of not dealing with my sexuality. I still love the Church but I know that devoting my life by becoming a nun isn't right for me.

8. chillbilly

Out Status:
    Some people
    I would say if you want to become a Priest, make sure you're doing it for the right reasons. :slight_smile: I know from personal experience that you can try to cover up the gay... but eventually it will come out.

Best of luck to you! Being a Priest is a huge commitment. I have nothing but respect.

9. Monocle

Out Status:
    Some people
    I used to want to be a nun because then I'd have an excuse to hang around women all day. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: Of course, it wasn't a good idea and I never did follow through with it, namely because I am and have always been an atheist, but also because I finally came to terms with how I felt about women.

tl;dr Joining the priesthood to escape from your sexuality is a very bad idea and will come back to bite you in the ass eventually. Don't do it.