1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

improve gaydar :/

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by GraffitiArtist, Mar 19, 2013.

1. GraffitiArtist

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I have recently decided to accept my self as gay and because it took me a while to come to terms with it, i feel as i am not very educated or lack the confidence to determine whether is a girl is gay or not. since im sorta still new to being a lesbian, i like to ask some basic tips on how to tell whether a girl is also les.. im also not too out, at all really! so i amd very hesitant because i, admittingly fear rejection. but whtever, right!... i just wish i was better at be a gay chick, you know. like how to interact smoothly with others and not feel so insecure and out of place. fml... :confused:

2. RueBea85

RueBea85 Guest

There aren't really any surefire ways to tell whether a girl is lesbian or not. There are lesbian stereotypes but not everyone who falls under the stereotypes is lesbian. I don't really know how to explain but i usually just get a feeling about people, and it is normally right.

Some girls who are gay may not talk about their personal lives a lot. One of the things people said set off their gaydar for me was that I never seemed to talk about any guys that I liked. There's also a way I would look at other women, or interact with other women, it's hard to explain.

Some lesbians stereotypes are:
    -short hair
    -eyebrow piercing, or piercings in general
    -plaid/flannel shirts
    -doesn't wear makeup
    -mannish gestures
    -may be more athletic or enjoy sports more than the "typical" girl

that's all I can think of at the moment, not all lesbians fit these stereotypes though.

3. Italy or Bust

First of all, welcome to Empty Closets!

I am "newly gay" but just try to be myself. It is hard to tell, most of the time, if someone is gay or not, but I start with the assumption that everyone is. And I make eye contact.

Depending on what part of the world you live, a gay-friendly part of a big gay-friendly city will yield a higher ratio of the people you wish to meet.

Just be you, we aren't graded on how good we are at being gay. Someone will think you're cute or nice or pretty or sexy or funny and soon you'll know!

Best of luck and welcome to the club!

4. GraffitiArtist

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    You're totally right. i didnt consider stereotypes. :/
    so theres really no telling, just sorta go with like a gut feeling about someone maybe...
    thank you though, it was a good tip :slight_smile: