1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

what does flirting look like?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Ettina, Mar 21, 2013.

1. Ettina

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm autistic so I'm pretty clueless about it. I keep worrying that my actions will be misinterpreted as flirting. What, in a woman, is considered flirting?

2. Rivers

I'm pretty clueless about this too.... I've been slapped (multiple times) for being an obnoxious flirt, and I have no idea what I've done wrong, haha!

3. 4AllEternity

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Don't worry about it so much when it comes to other women, as it's actually usually difficult to get someone of the same gender to realize you're flirting with them.

When it comes to interactions with men, simply avoid being too personal with men you aren't close friends with. Avoid excessive touching, holding eye contact (unless in a conversation) and smiling (You can still give people friendly smiles, just make sure you're not constantly grinning at one person for no reason, as it may be construed as a "signal"). It's alright to be more relaxed around guys you're friends with, as they won't be looking for signals, and hence will likely not misinterpret your feelings. Guys you've just met will tend to be looking for signals, and hence will be more likely to misinterpret things.

4. Ianthe

Have people actually misinterpreted your actions as flirting?

5. Ettina

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Not that I know of, but I keep getting paranoid about it.

I have had teachers misinterpret my actions as sexual when I was in elementary school. They had a stereotype that sexual abuse victims always act out sexually, so I got in trouble for things like hugging a classmate or accidentally touching their butt while twirling.

6. Dee

Dee

Out Status:
    Some people
    Hi Ettina, Id recommend typing "how to flirt" into google and reading about what flirting looks like way. A youtube video on flirting would probably be helpful to watch too.

7. saggitarius91

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm horrible when it comes to flirt so I have no idea what it looks like either. Maybe I'm just bad at seeing the signs lol

8. lazyfire

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I can't say for sure how people flirt because everyone is different. Flirting could be easily mistaken nowadays. But, there comes a point where you say, "They are flirting with me". It becomes real obvious.

What I don't understand is that when people flirt, they do it with multiple people so you don't know who they like for sure. Or, when you've finally decided that they like you/or show interest by flirting, they go out of their way to talk to someone else they might possibly like. It's frustrating which is why (being a hypocrite) you should get to know your crush before they coincidentally find out about your crush on them. :slight_smile: Be careful.