1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New High School?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by swimmertriangle, Mar 22, 2013.

1. swimmertriangle

So, currently I'm a freshman. However, I'll be moving after my sophomore year. I go to a small school with only about 300 kids. The senior class has only 60 people.
    When I move, I might be going back to America, and there's a good chance that I'll be going to a public high school. Truth is, I'm pretty terrified. Not only will I be the "new kid who's moved around his whole life", but I'll also be a closeted gay. And most people suspect I'm gay when they first meet me.
    So my question. Is it going to be bad for me? I'm really worried that people will see right through my "straight" mask and bully me or something? I really don't want to go home the first day with like a black eye or a damaged spirit. I'm honestly really worried and can't stop thinking about it.

2. NicoleV96

NicoleV96 Guest

It really depends on the school. I suggest you find a school similar to the one you're in now. I go to a school with 300 students as well, and I feel like the less people there are, the more accepting they'll be. Honestly like 85% of my school is literally filled with gays/lesbians/bisexuals so everyone fits in. I think it just depends on the school. In my school I haven't gotten bullied, nobody has, so overall it's a good experience. So, if you're used to going to school with a small student population, I suggest you find a school that is going to also have a small student population. I don't think you should worry, if you have a good personality, I think people are going to not care about sexuality.

3. The Dude

Hey,

I don't know where you are moving too, but where I went the LGBT kids didn't get bullied or harassed. I guess it really depends, but I wouldn't "terrified" to use your words. I am a product of the US public school system, and it wasn't a bad experience where I went. At my school there was even a club for the LGBT kids. Nobody goes through high school without some confrontation anyway, so even if you get some you'll be just like everyone else. Just be yourself and try to make some friends, I'm sure you'll be accepted by at least some people, if not everyone.

Do you know where in the country you might be moving to?

4. justinf

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm actually gonna advise you do the exact opposite. Since you're worried you'll draw attention to yourself, find a school with a larger student population, where not everyone knows each other. That way you won't stick out as the "new guy." Plus, it's generally the case that the more people, the more diversity. Compare it to living in a small village versus living in a big city. You'll find more diverse people (and acceptance) in the city, and also less people will notice when you do something out of the ordinary.

5. photoguy93

In the most "mature" way I can say it - it's a crap shoot. You never know. Some places and schools are AMAZING. Others will treat you like crap. It just depends. Where would you be moving?

6. Oddish

Oddish Guest

Forwarding this. With a larger student population, the more you'll blend in. And with a bigger population and campus, the more likely they'll have more clubs, maybe one pertaining to LGBT.

In a smaller school, everyone knows everyone, and you'll stick out like a sore thumb as the "new kid." I know the idea of a heavily populated school might seem off-putting, but it's much more beneficial in the long run. Plus, you'll have more of an opportunity to meet all sorts of different people and find your group. Unlike a school with only 300 kids where everyone might seem all cookie-cutter.

Trust me, I've been to a few new schools and have moved around quite a lot. Generally kids who've transferred to my high school, and the previous schools I went to, were greeted with open arms. I hope your experience will be the same. Best of luck.

7. swimmertriangle

Hi, thanks for all of your replies so far. The possibilities are North Carolina, Colorado, Florida, or Texas. We can't tell for sure and we might actually be moving BACK to Europe, where I lived about two years ago.

8. Dublin Boy

Dublin Boy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay