1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My first visit to a therapist

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Dessie6339, Mar 24, 2013.

1. Dessie6339

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I haven't posted on here in a while, but in a couple days I am going to see a psychologist for the first time and I'm kinda anxious! But on the other hand I'm kinda excited too because I want my life to change. I'm nervous that I will get there and not want to talk about anything and I'm not really sure what all I should/need to share with her on my first visit. I worried that I may feel uncomfortable because in high school I had regular check ups with the school counsler but I hated it. I feel like now I'm a little older and more mature so maybe it won't be the same...has anyone else went through this and felt the same way?

2. Wolfie Charm

I’ve been twice. I don’t remember it entirely, but the first visit was just filling out a questionnaire and reassurances. I didn’t want to go in there at all but somehow she got me talking. They understand new clients are nervous/anxious/uncertain about speaking up and where to begin. Best of luck!!

3. cycle 50

It helps to write out what you want to talk about on a piece of paper, you can even read it to your therapist what you are feeling and your concerns. Dont be afraid , you are taking a good step to help yourself. They can help you with whatever concerns you have and give you a different view about things that you may not have thought about. My therapist has helped me a great deal, I just wished that I began talking with a therapist 40 years ago.

4. Naomilly92

It takes strength and trust to confide in someone, so it my take some time. But they'll get you talking, I'm not sure how they do it, but they always get you talking