1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I Want To Move Out

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by CptnBeefheart, Mar 25, 2013.

1. CptnBeefheart

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I recently had an incident where my very religious mother accused me of watching gorey satanic material (which was actually a music video and there was just as much blood as you'd see from a Law & Order episode) and took my computer away. I'm afraid she'll give it to one of her friends (both of them are Jehovah's Witnesses) and access my personal material (which might . I'm not sure she has done this but this has got me very worked up because it's as if someone is going through a personal journal.

She backs her reasons up with the fact that she claims she has had encounters with demons all of her life and that material like that of what I was watching opens a portal to allow demons to run through our home and terrorize us. She also went off this morning on how the government is failing and the something like the end of america along with the world is coming to an end (Jehovah Witnesses also believe that human governments are run by Satan and apparently he is also the ruler of the current world order)

I firmly believe that she has some type of mental illness and I want to get as far away from my family as possible. This isn't the only reason though, as bad as this may sound I don't particularly like any of my family anyway. They're all crazy. I'm almost turning 18 years old and by then they'll have no jurisdiction over me. I want to know the best way of getting my own place and maybe even getting out of state. I didn't initially plan on going to college, but if it grants me a better chance of getting as far away as possible from them, I'll do it.

2. ameliawesome

i'm sorry <3 "she claims she has had encounters with demons all of her life and that material like that of what I was watching opens a portal to allow demons to run through our home and terrorize us" is absolutely evident of mental illness. i'm not sure how emancipation works but you could look into that. how easy it all is really depends on your financial situation, and maybe whether or not your parents try to get in your way. are your parents supportive of you going away to college? or if you really don't want to go to college, do you have any friends who are planning to move out on their own and need a roommate?

3. CptnBeefheart

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    My parents have been bugging me to go to college, but I'm unsure if they want me to stay here or not. I have a friend who might be, but she has boyfriend so I doubt that'd really work out. She is actually trying to help me get a job that actually pays about $500 a week.

---------- Post added 25th Mar 2013 at 03:04 PM ----------

I also meant to add that her digging around in my computer might indicate that I'm actually bisexual, which is not surprisingly something Jehovah Witnesses severely disagree on. Couple of days ago she told me that the reason I didn't act like a normal teenager (I'm not exactly extroverted and I don't really like that many people) was because I was into supposedly dark stuff. That really pissed me off and it'd really hurt.

4. ameliawesome

if your parents are either planning to pay for your schooling or if you need them to cosign for a loan, then going away to school would be a good way to start breaking away from your family. or if you can get a job that pays enough for you to afford an apartment or something, go for it. like you said, you're going to be 18 and legally you'll be able to make more decisions independently. it would definitely suck if they went through your personal computer things, but at least you are legally an adult. it's not like you're 14 and your mom can go really crazy and put you on lockdown. do you drive a car?

5. Exoskeleton

It's funny, because religious beliefs tend to get a free ticket as far as mental illness goes. Superstition is human, and so acceptable. At least in America. I can't speak for any countries more prone to less... energetic religious folks.

Anyway, you said that you didn't want to go to college. I don't think going just as a means to escape your family is a good idea. What is it that you were planning to do? If you really want to get out on your own, you'll need a buddy to split bills with, like Amelia said, or a job that pays well enough for you to swing it on your own.

6. CptnBeefheart

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I was thinking of going to a community college and maybe transferring somewhere else, we don't have the money for college really. Thankfully, they didn't go through it but I do have limited usage of it for now. I still don't feel safe in my own house.

I know how to drive, though I haven't gotten a permit or license yet. The first thing I did after she had a fucking riot was asking my dad to help me study up on the test and learn more driving skills.

---------- Post added 26th Mar 2013 at 01:35 PM ----------

I really don't want to go, but I've also been planning to move out of state in the future anyway and I've heard how hard it is to move anywhere so I thought going to college would help. I don't know where I'm going to find a job that pays enough or a place....

What I really want to do is to become a audio engineer where I would have to take a program that lasts a year to get the training. Initially the average salary starting out is a little under $30,000 and by more experience you'll get an average of $40-60,000. Major cities like New York or Atlanta pay them over $60,000

7. Exoskeleton

A few options come to mind. Note that I haven't done any research into this, they're just the ideas that came to mind.

If possible, find a training facility and attend part time. While you do that, you can work full time (or part time, but that's unlikely to generate enough income) and find a small apartment or rent a room in a house somewhere.

You can find a decent paying job and work full time. Find a place you can afford (apartment/room) and try to keep your expenses as low as possible. Save money until you have enough to pay for your training. Once you start training, you could move to a part time job to pay for the necessaries or try to balance a full time job and part time training.

Those are all if you're opposed to taking out loans. If you aren't, then you might want to take out loans to pay for your training (which will be less than paying for four years of college would be, at least) so that you could work part time and use that money to pay bills.

Another option is, of course, just to hold out. When you graduate from high school, launch into your training and stick out living with your parents for a year until you have that certification under your belt and can go straight into your career of choice.

If you move out of state, it's just important that you plan. Apply for jobs before you get there. Find housing before you get there. Don't just pack your bags and set off to Atlanta because that's where your dreams are. That kind of spontaneous thing is what sinks people.

8. ameliawesome

is your dad as fanatical as your mom? is there anybody nearby that you can go to for help if you feel unsafe at home?

9. CptnBeefheart

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    He claims to believe in God but he is nowhere near her level of insanity. In fact, his a pretty laid back person. I don't really have any close friends I could go to...

10. ameliawesome

well that's good, at least while you're still there maybe your dad can be a sort of safety zone.

11. CptnBeefheart

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Thanks, I really appreciate the advice (you too Amelia). I've been doing a little research on this but to no avail. I'll try harder, I just hope I can move out soon.