1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Finding a lgbt friendly therapist?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Dee, Mar 26, 2013.

1. Dee

Dee

Out Status:
    Some people
    Hi! Id like to find a therapist in Long Island NY who is lgbt friendly. Is there a resource that I could use to find someone?

2. LD579

Well, googling just gave me this. Hopefully it's helpful to you; it seems like it would be. I hope things turn out nicely for you =)

If you click on the names of the people, and then look to the right hand side, there'll be lists of issues they deal with, their specialties, etc.

#2 LD579, Mar 26, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2013
  3. TyRawr

Board Member Full Member

I dont know about NY, but I would think its not to terribly different than out here in Cali. For the most part Therapists, especially MSW's, are going to be really well eduicated and non judgmental to all colors of life. Unless you are looking for someone who specializes with LBGT issues, but I think a competent therapist who practices more insight based therapies would be good regardless.

You could always try a few out? Maybe being vulnerable is part of your healing process, and theres nothing anywhere that says you have to go back to someone if you dont like them right?

4. Mogget

It's perfectly okay to ask a prospective therapist what their stance on LGBT issues is. In my experience, most people in therapy are fairly progressive on queer issues, though there are exceptions. In New York it's unlikely to be very common for a therapist to be LGBT-unfriendly.

5. taobroin

taobroin Guest

I know this thread is kind of old, but I thought I'd give you some good advice if you're still looking for a Lesbian/Gay Friendly therapist. I'll send you pvt msg with contact info.

#5 taobroin, Feb 9, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2014