1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Have I been too hopeful?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by lazyfire, Mar 27, 2013.

1. lazyfire

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I know it's kind of repetitive posting threads about this one guy but I can't seem to understand my situation.

He's been giving me all these flirtatious signs lately and all of a sudden, he asks out a girl? I heard her say, "Sorry", and he was telling his friends in class that he was going to do it. So, I guess he did and got rejected. He did the same sort of thing with his friends before telling me happy birthday so I'm not quite sure what to do.

Frankly, I don't know what to believe anymore. The fact that he's a closeted jock or straight?

I hope it isn't my fault for confusing him. My return signals are usually straight faces and avoidance of eye contact especially in the hallways! C:

:dry: Anyone been through this?

2. rmc

rmc

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I may be in the other side of the line...

There was this guy hitting on me last week on the gym, I am a closeted gay yet... So I started to try talking to him, but he never really talked, he just kind of looked at me and never said a word... When I went to the bathroom he was going out of it, so I went to the urinal and he saw that... So he came back, went to the urinal by my side, and started staring at me. That was creepy, and then when I was going out, i looked back just to see if I needed to let the door open for someone else, and he lifted his shirt (out of nowhere...).
    And while I was going out of the gym he started looking back, at me, but he didn't said anything... he couldn't start a conversation, I tried, but he didn't listned. But by his atitude I just lost all the interest. I need someone I can talk too...

Anyway, if he is closeted you need to find a friendly approach first, I say it by experience. If he keep giving you signs, they you can start getting some more intimacy - like telling you are gay. And if he is really hitting on you he will say he is gay as well, or you will just get a new friend. Hope it helps...

3. lazyfire

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    And, if he knows I'm gay?

4. rmc

rmc

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    That would be more complicated... But just ask if he is liking someone lately (or maybe the girl he hitted on), don't imply that he is gay if you are not 100% sure, because if he is not there will be an awkward situation.

5. Slime

I agree on rmc here: subtly drop some conversation about LGBT, or, if he's a close friend, come out to him. In no way should you straight out ask him if he's gay, because by my experience as a closeted male, he won't come out. If anything, he'll retreat further into the closet.

I've gone through the same things as you, and let's just say that I'm currently single :/
    I was crushing on this guy and I kept on trying to convince myself that he was being flirtatious and hitting on me, but that's just my fantasy. I realised he was straight and I must admit, I haven't quite moved on yet :$ Perhaps you're doing that? Are you 100% sure that he's been acting flirtatious with you or you're just imagining it? Sorry to be a party pooper D: You stil have a chance though! Perhaps I'm just a skeptic ass who doesn't believe in magic :grin:

6. Boyfriend

Boyfriend Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hm, going out with girls or liking girls or talking about them doesn't exactly exclude the fact that he might fancy guys (too).

How does he react if you touch him while you have a conversation? Do you at all talk to him? Does he mirror?
    Non verbal language is very important. I'd look into that (there are several sites about non verbal language , even specificly in flirt situations) so you know what he's saying in that way.

It might help if you are not too neutral towards him, because he might be just as confused about you...

7. lazyfire

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Answer to question 1: We don't talk when we touch.
    But, we have touched before and he didn't move at all. He was facing the other way and had his back leaning on my arm. I was sitting and he was standing. This was on Valentine's Day. His friend told him to ask me out a week prior but he said something about a boyfriend but I couldn't hear all of it. So, he touched my arm instead?

Answer to question 2: We don't talk much but it's because I've been ignoring him/or wasn't sure he was talking to me. I've also been giving him off signs like (Staring at the something else when he's staring and smiling at me).

Answer to question 3: He mirrors. I was sitting next to him when his friends all left for the break. I saw him touching his face a little bit and he was looking down at the ground. I tested him by scratching the back of my head (my lower left part) and he did the same thing. He scratched the lower part of his head!

-SAME CLASS PERIOD, SAME DAY-
    I was sitting and reading and I felt the need to look up from the book. I looked at my friend who was busy reading my paper and then I saw his head turn away really fast. His eyes were briefly on me when I looked up; he just turned away too fast. By the way, his head was slightly turned around towards me so I could see 1 eye and half of the other.

Some other things:
    When ever my teacher does a survey of the class and asks the question out loud for a show of hands, he always looks at me before I even raise my hand.

He called me confusing :frowning2:

---------- Post added 30th Mar 2013 at 06:21 PM ----------

I hate harsh reality. Half of my friends would support you. The other half would feel neutral. Some even freaked out (in a good way), kind of like this: OH MY GOD. NO FREAKING WAY.

---------- Post added 30th Mar 2013 at 06:25 PM ----------

It's so hard talking to him! ;(

I've already asked him out through Facebook and that turned out really awkward for me. But, not for him! He just flirted even more. D:

#7 lazyfire, Mar 30, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2013
  8. photoguy93

I like this guy in one of my classes, and I'm unsure as to what he is interested in and if it would even ever work.

But, I talked with my best friend about it. I said "I know I should be calm about it and not freak out." She said "but we know you're going to blow it out of proportion....just do it."

If you're being safe, smart, and logical...then have fun. If you end up blowing it out of proportion, you blew it out of proportion. I think it's better to do that then to regret doing it.

9. lazyfire

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Are you saying I should just flirt back and see what he does?

I'm not quite sure what you're telling me to 'do'. lol :slight_smile:

10. rmc

rmc

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    If he is giving you all this signs, and you are sure that you are not misinterpretating you should do something about it. Don't let it pass...
    But be sutil... if you are too "agressive" he will back down, I am sure of it =/

Best of luck to you