1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Changing Schools. Yay.

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Nyanko, Mar 28, 2013.

1. Nyanko

So my dad believes my current high school is what "magically made me gay" so he's moving me to a different school so I can have a better future without all this "gay influence" which I don't understand, seeing as all of my friends are straight and I don't hang out with anyone outside of school.

He's already signed me up for a Charter school without telling me, so I have no choice but to go there next year. But the thing is, it's a school for kids who can't "function normally" at regular schools (or so a definition online says about those schools). What does that mean? I looked it up and I still don't really get it.

I just don't understand why my parents are so intent on isolating me from other people I can actually connect with. I'm perfectly happy at my school and I don't feel I should leave for my senior year, which I told them but they don't care! They've never gotten involved in my education before, so why now? Why is it that when I start to show that I'm happy, they have to pull this kind of crap?

At this point I just don't know what to do, I'm fed up with arguing with them about my life, I'm tired of them putting me down and making me feel worthless. I'm just ready to explode right now, and they don't even care that I'm bawling and crying and just completely broken. How am I supposed to deal with this? :tears:

2. myheartincheck

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm not sure if it is, but I consider this child abuse! They don't seem to encourage you at all for ANYthing that makes you happy!

I'm sorry honey that you're going through this... your parents seem very ill informed and controlling. You probably already know that though. I hope you also know that you DO function normally. There is NOTHING wrong with you! In fact the Psychological Association says trying to get someone to change their sexual orientation is very harmful!

This is very unfortunate, seeing as you have no exposure to the LGBTQ community at school so that is completely irrelevant to which school you're at. They seem to believe you can "catch gayness" and that's just not true. I didn't have any LGBTQ influences before discovering my orientation. This is very disturbing. :tantrum:

3. Nyanko

There's so much I could say about them being controlling, and not just because of my "catching the gay", but I just don't know what I'm supposed to do to get them to just stop and leave me be. My sisters aren't being very supportive (they've gotten a little meaner to me and I don't know why) so they're no help.

I've tried telling them about my future and what I want, but they don't want to hear it. It's like they're denying me of my own happiness and I have no clue what I should do about it. I feel like giving in and just letting them do what they want.

I just want to know what I did to make everyone hate me so much...

#3 Nyanko, Mar 28, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2013
  4. myheartincheck

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    You did NOTHING wrong. How your family is reacting is very unhealthy and spiteful. You have to be your own best friend right now and know in your heart of hearts you're beautiful the way you are.

They didn't even support you being a writer and that's just silly. You don't have to fit in anybody's perfect Barbie box because everyone is different and wonderfully unique.

5. Wolfie Charm

Ugh! That sucks!! I know what you’re feeling. (I was almost sent to boarding school.) Maybe if logic doesn’t work on them you can find some “dirt” on the charter school. Something your parents wouldn’t like. Like if the school has an LGBTQ club, because some of them do, or gay teachers. I hate saying that like it is bad. Absolutely isn’t. But any kind of scandal (I don't include what I said about club/gay teachers!!), like a history of hiring perverts.

I wish they would listen to you and respect you! I agree with everything myheartincheck just said. Nothing is wrong with you, it's them.(*hug*)(*hug*) I hope they reconsider what they have decided. Or the school is full. Is your spot guaranteed? I read a little about charter schools and saw there is some kind of admission lottery.

6. Nyanko

Thanks. I know that's true, but they're making it hard for me to believe anything positive. I think I am starting to become their little puppet...

I wish I could, but it's like...this perfect little school right by my mom's work. My dad made sure it is, he paid for everything, signed all the papers and chose my classes to take aside from what's required. WHAT!? I'm not even allowed to choose my classes for myself! I'm so mad right now I can't even tell you...

7. Wolfie Charm

I don’t blame you. I’d be furious, too. Well…Maybe you’ll meet someone and get close to her right away. New friends are always good…

8. Oddish

Oddish Guest

Whoa whoa whoa, he seriously signed you up for a school without your consent all because he feels that the one you currently go to now.. made you gay? :rolle:

It really sucks that he's already paid for it and chose all of your classes, so there's no backing out... are you sure if you were to discuss it with him, he might change his mind? I'm sorry, this just seems like a no-win situation and is completely illogical on your dad's part. Try not to feel like this is your fault, because it isn't. I hope that everything goes okay when you're there for the next school year. :/

9. Nyanko

Well, since he's already spent money on it, he's definitely not going to change his mind. I tried telling him that this isn't what I want, but then he got angry and looked like he was going to hit me, so I ran to my room and haven't come out until he fell asleep. My mom hasn't said anything, but she was just like, "where did I fail for you to come out like this?" and left me alone. She's trying to play the guilty card so I can "change". I'm just tired of putting up with it..

10. Wolfie Charm

:tantrum: Parents!! Blech!

11. Ruby

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Poor deary...that's a horribly situation, I'm sorry you have to deal with it. Hopefully you will be able to find good friends at your new school and be happy despite the situation. Keep your head up and things will have to get better at some point. Until then there are plenty of people willing to listen and be there if you need it. Myself included.

12. Ticklish Fish

I am not much help, but I think your parents are deep in denial, and, like someone said, got their information about sexuality wrong... :/

but the part about picking your classes is just... really harmful. :frowning2:

sorry I can't help much, but hang in there!