1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Church problems....

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Ruby, Mar 28, 2013.

1. Ruby

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    This is like my 3rd thread today but to be fair I've never had anyone I could talk to about this kind of stuff so....

Ok so here's the thing. My church what you would imagine a small southern church to be like, full of white homophobic, people who wont quit saying the world is ending. I hate going. Easy solution is that I just stop, but the pastor, his wife and kids are family friends. I mean I love them to death but I can't stand some of the things they say.

Anytime homosexuality/gay rights/anything that isn't guns, Jesus and traditional values is mentioned it's called an "Abomination of God!" and that kind of hurts since I'm liberal, some kind of weird flow-y gender and sexuality. It would probably be healthier for me if I just stopped going but I only ever attend with my family(They have no idea I'm not Right-Wing, Straight and 100% Girl all the time). I love the family and my family I really do I just hate their religion/politics/attitude toward somethings.

Every time I go I leave feeling tense, twitchy and just drained over all. I don't know how to tell my mom I don't ever want to go back to that church or how to just avoid it all together.

2. Ticklish Fish

as a humor aside, is it like those "love the sinner hate the sin", but "love the family hate the religion/politics/opinion"?

also, you're 19....
    have your family or church family friends talk about how they feel about people who remotely don't believe in the same thing or don't go to church? lol

3. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yeah, if your feeling drained when you leave there, then it's probably time to stop going. What I did when I was leaving my old church was I slowly stopped going. I didn't just stop going all at once. Maybe you could have a conversation with your mom about how you feel when you leave?

4. Incognito10

Maybe you could look into a more liberal group, such as Unitarian Universalism.

5. Ruby

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I've looked into Unitarian Universalism and it's pretty neat but I would probably be better off being spiritual by my self in some corner. Ugh...I just don't know how to tell my mom her religion makes me feel ill.