1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I had a dream I was raped by my crush :/

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Halfbakedharry, Mar 29, 2013.

1. Halfbakedharry

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    So yeh.
    Last night I had a dream I was raped by a guy I've been thinking about for a while now. It left me feeling really uneasy even though it was a dream. It also left me to question how I would react to that in the real world. I'm a slim guy, hardly any muscle, I wouldn't be able to repel anybody :/ Has anybody else experienced anything like this? Is this even normal?

2. Dublin Boy

Dublin Boy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I have, but the dreams always woken me up, at the end of the day it is just a dream, with rape, I would guess that nobody knows how they will really react, until they find themselves in that position.

3. Ruby

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    (*hug*) I'm sorry I've had a few dreams like that and they've left me feeling awful for days. I can't tell you anything about whether or not it is normal or not but I understand where you're coming from so if you ever need to rant/talk about it let me know.

4. estrella

I've had strange dreams where rape has occurred. Yes, they can be really scary and really weird, especially if they are by people you know in real life. But I'm a firm believer that dreams carry some sort of message that we tend to ignore in our waking state. No, that does not mean that he is going to rape you. I don't think dreams work in a future-telling way. If you need to talk more, this is the perfect place. :slight_smile:

5. Stripe101

I had a dream I was in the hunger games! Some kid shot me in the back multiple times... No rape, though.

6. WanderingGhost

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Dreams project things directly from your subconscious. It may be something you want or just something you're afraid of.

7. Lewis

I found this online. It's one of those 'dream definitions' that analyse how you must be feeling in order to have a certain dream.

Essentially a dream in which a rape occurs apparently means that you have some lack of control within your life and you want to regain that control. Our dreams are often not a representation of what they actually appear to be; they're more to do directly with our emotions.

Not sure if this is true to how you're feeling at the moment. But I hope this dream hasn't affected you too negatively. Dreams are bizarre things. :slight_smile:

8. CptnBeefheart

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    These type of dreams are common, but I've never had one where I was raped. WanderingGhost is right, it's related to your subconscious I've been trying to have a lucid dream where I have sex with my crush but all I end up getting is random school related shit. Maybe it's best to put it behind you.

9. Ettina

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I had a dream where a guy tried to rape me, but I successfully used my newly-learnt karate skills to repel him.

10. QueerThinking

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I've often had fantasies about being raped by a guy that I had a crush on, or found attractive. I don't think it's necessarily about powerlessness or feeling powerless. Because it is someone you have a crush on, I assume that you haven't made a move yet?

Sometimes I think that my fantasies about being raped say more about my desire not to be rejected by my crush. The rape fantasy resonates with surrendering control, or being devoid of responsibility. So I don't have to take responsibility for the way I feel about the guy, I don't have to worry if he'll reject me or not, I don't have to take the risk of a real relationship. So it's like a fear of rejection becomes a desire to be raped. Him raping me means that I don't have to make a move.

But I also think it maybe connects with feeling ashamed of the way I feel about the person I'd have fantasised about. Rape is essentially an experience of being shamed - so it's like the fantasy validates my own feelings of shame for being gay. So it can connect with some internalised homophobia.

I don't think it's wrong to dream about being raped. Our dreams often have content which makes very little sense on the surface of it. As far as I know, in psychoanalysis (where the interpretation of dreams plays a very significant role), what we recall of our dreams is like the tip of the iceburg of our unconscious. So a dream about being raped could even indicate something completely unrelated to your sexuality - it could be stress, past trauma, or an unconscious conflict of a completely different nature - it is a highly subjective thing. Whatever it is, the important thing in psychoanalysis would be to keep talking, or perhaps writing, since talking/writing freely (like in a journal or to a therapist) can also help in resolving the unconscious conflicts.

Not that I think you need therapy. I don't think there's anything wrong with you if you dream about being raped. Sometimes it can be kinda hot - and because it is your dream on a certain level you are consenting to it, and so it's not technically rape. Don't get me wrong - rape is a very serious issue. And I'm not at all saying it's ok to actually be raped! All I'm saying is that it maybe just indicates a darker side of your sexuality. We all have a dark side, but I think that part of integrating it would be to face it without fear. Loving and accepting yourself are ultimately the most important parts of being human - and sometimes this involves looking at the darker parts of our psyche.