1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Alcohol...

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Lewnatic, Mar 31, 2013.

1. Lewnatic

I realize this isn't so much an issue with sexuality (though that's where the problem started), but I honestly don't know where else to post this. I'm not an alcoholic, so visiting a forum for alcoholics just doesn't feel like it would benefit me. However, Empty Closets has long been my saving grace so hopefully you lovely people can help me like you always do! :slight_smile:

I came out in February last year, and a few weeks after I started drinking. I'm 20 now, I came out when I was 19. It was just a few beers on the weekend because I discovered it made me feel better: alcohol tore my anxieties away from me and I turned into the confident, happy guy I wanted to be. Now don't get me wrong, I'm not some raging drunk, but I do drink most nights these days. 3 cans of beer maybe, sometimes four, but last night I drank 8 bottles of beer. 8. I had a friend round and she had two, but I somehow ended up having 8. I woke up with a banging head and a resolve that if I don't stop this, I could end up with a problem. This way of drinking will continue to increase if I don't stop it now and by age 25 I could end up like an alcoholic.

I guess I'm just looking for advice. It's an odd one, I'll admit. I'm basically trying to prevent myself from becoming dependent on alcohol, and I do really want to cut down and stop my reasons for drinking. I'd happily be one of those people that just drinks on special occasions, or has two beers on a Friday night to top off a hard week. But right now, I sense an issue brewing and it needs to be stopped. I really need some help, though.

2. FunnyMonkey

I think taking a brake for a little bit would be an idea. if you are finding yourself increasing the amount you drink.

3. Lewnatic

Well...yes, that's a given, but it's not as easy as that. By tonight, I can pretty much assure my mind set will have changed and I'll want a beer.

4. FunnyMonkey

do you go out to the bar or drink at home?

5. Lewnatic

At home, mostly.

6. FunnyMonkey

What I did, when I took a brake is, change my routine, so I would not be around the time I would drink. So what I would do if I was you in instead of drinking go see a movie one night. work on this slowly so that your body can get use it. or just have two beers only buy two so that you can have more.

7. Lewis

I'm the same. Think it's the norm in the UK...I get pissed on a regular basis.

Yeah, I regret it the next day, but it's worth it at the time. As long as you have a day, two days rest from alcohol I don't see any problem. Your drinking habits seem fine, 4 cans on a night is tame compared to some people.

Americans (no offence intended) tend to drink less due to age restrictions, therefore have more of a prudish, straitlaced view on drinking. I say, get smashed...sensibly (lies).

8. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Not to burst anyone's bubble, but 4 cans of beer a night, or drinking anything almost every night, *is* a sign of a brewing problem. Alcoholism isn't limited by country borders; it is a worldwide problem.

I agree with Lewis that cultural norms vary considerably by country, but the fact that you're expressing concern is a pretty strong indication that there is one.

Additionally, if you are drinking home alone, that is a pretty big red flag that there may be an underlying depression or anxiety or something that you're using the alcohol to medicate.

You've gotten good suggestions so far. The acid test is whether you can give up alcohol completely for, say, 60 days. If you can, then you should be able to go back to moderate usage. Set limits for yourself and, say, only drink once a week, and limit your consumption that one time. Or limit yourself to one beer per night and no other alcohol.

People sometimes believe that if they only drink beer they don't have a problem, but I read an article that apparently the biggest problem with alcohol abuse comes from beer drinking.

It's good that you're addressing the issue early. Left unchecked, it can become a serious disruption in your life.