1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dream job

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Hopeful, Mar 31, 2013.

1. Hopeful

You know how some people grow up knowing that they're going to become a doctor, or a piano teacher, or a football coach? Or those that still don't know for sure what they want to be but graduate high school and then go to college with a major in mind and figure "well I can just change it next year once I know for sure"??

Well that's not me. I was homeschooled and graduated in spring of 2011, so two years ago. Since then I have been working at a health club as a lifeguard and more recently a swim teacher, too. I swim on the swim team there as the oldest member (I'm 20. The next in line is a 17-year-old who is finishing up her junior year).

I feel as though I should be doing SOMETHING with my life. I live at home with my divorced parents. My siblings and I live with Mom part of the week and Dad the rest. I'm the oldest of us kids and don't have an older sibling to look up to and ask questions. I can't afford college right now, and even if I could I don't want to go because I don't know what I want to do. Right now I'm leaning towards working with kids but I don't really want to be a teacher... I'd love to learn more Spanish and ASL and maybe I could be an interpreter or something. Maybe I could do something else.

Anyone else have a similar situation?? I don't really want to move away from my parents because I live in a small town and apartments nearby aren't very cheap. I get along well with my mom and I generally am okay with my dad but we don't talk like I do with my mom. My job doesn't pay well, but I get a free membership to the club and swim team has been free. Swimming takes up a LOT of time and if I stop to do something else, I could, but I like swimming. I've thought about taking a class or two at the community college 40-45 minutes from my house, but I don't know what.

Sorry this was long and jumbled, but it's been on my mind for really a couple of years and I still haven't figured it out. I don't know that I ever truly will!

2. Tbob

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Don't worry too much. Some people have a complete career change in their 50's or later! I only decided what I wanted to do at 27, and that started from just taking a course to see what it was like. Maybe try teaching yourself a little Spanish or see if there are any classes you could take. You won't lose much by trying, and maybe it will be something you decide you want to take further.