1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can the admin of our home network see that I visit this website regularly?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by evora, Apr 6, 2013.

1. evora

This might be a very stupid question but...
    Can the admin of our home network, my brother, see that I (specifically) or someone visits this website regularly? It's set to public network at the moment but only the four of us uses it. Please, could anyone who knows this stuff let me know if it's possible or not?

2. falsereading

falsereading Guest

Possibly, depends on how knowledgeable they are. Easiest method is just going through your history on the same computer.

3. theMaverick

I'm by no means a computer expert, but I never thought that someone could see what you were doing unless they used the same computer as you and you didn't clear history.

4. Stridenttube

Stridenttube Guest

Some routers record the IP address of websites visited. But I wouldn't worry about it.

5. rg93

I could imagine that it shows the IP address on the router settings site, but someone would actually have to first, know what they're doing and second actually go out of their way to check the website that you are/were on, however I don't think it would just "be noticed", but it really depends on if the settings website shows it. It doesn't on ours.

6. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Depends on how sophisticated the home network is. As Stridenttube said, if the router logs traffic, or if there's a caching server, then one could tell by looking at the logs. But I wouldn't stress it.

7. evora

Oh, god...:bang:
    Now I'll just have to find a way to subtly ask my brother how our router works and if he can see the websites we visit. Any ideas?
    I thought I could start by asking 'How do you know that no one uses our wifi?' and 'Do you sometimes check if anyone other than us logs in to it for free?' or 'Do you remember that time when you told mum you could block that website we think is rubbish but she likes so much?'.:dry:

---------- Post added 6th Apr 2013 at 08:10 PM ----------

Unfortunately, my brother knows what he's doing...:icon_sad:
    If I went on the router settings site, could I check if we have any logs of our online activities, without me being any good at this kind of thing? As in, would I have to know any specific codes or something, or simply look for an 'online logs' tab or something similar?
    I feel so embarrassed for being such a novice.:icon_redf

8. Stridenttube

Stridenttube Guest

I think you should chill out. I doubt that he cares so much that he goes through every log entry and looks up each IP address. Just chill.

9. rg93

I think the way we do it is we type in our own IP address (i think it is, I just know that it is an IP address) into the top long address bar in a browser and it brings us to the providing website. You can log in if you know the username and password and as long as you just look and not touch (don't change any options), you shouldn't be able to break anything. But really, the others are right, there's really no need to panic about it because you usually don't visit this options page often anyway. The chance of you crashing your car into a tree is much higher than anyone finding out that you're visiting this website. Keep calm and breath, you're absolutely fine. :slight_smile:

PS: I wouldn't try the free wifi excuse to ask, because most people have a password protection on their wifi signal and don't just let it fly free. :thumbsup:

10. evora

Thanks everyone for taking the time to read & reply. I won't be worrying about it too much but I will check our router's page tomorrow, just so I know how much of what I'm doing on the internet remains private.

11. photoguy93

With anything online, the best advice is - anything can happen. There's many, many, many things that can be done. I don't want to be negative and scare you, I just want you to be cautious!