1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lesbians, how did you know you were gay AND what do you notice about women in general

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by thinthinline, Apr 7, 2013.

1. thinthinline

I know this is sort of a typical question, but I've put a twist on it. I'm asking this for all those who are questioning and myself included just to gain knowledge of what is common or typical in those who are lesbians.

1. How did you know you were gay? This can be the first clue (ie: age ___, I noticed.. etc), or a general brief description (ie: I just wasn't interested in boys. etc).

2. In what ways do you look at or notice about women that differs from how you perceive/notice men?

---
    I'm looking for answers from those who are lesbians and are not questioning any longer. However, as the OP :smilewave, I feel it's only right that I answer these questions myself since I'm asking, even though I am still in the process of understanding my orientation.

1. How did you know you were gay?
    Age 11 or 12. I accidentally looked down my teacher's blouse. It was mortifying. She caught me, I was stunned. I went home that day thinking "OMG, what if I'm gay? I can't be gay." I then ignored it. Since then, I can't seem to get a boyfriend (or even a date) even though I've wanted to have a boyfriend for a long time now and would be considered attractive. I'm just not that interested in guys.

2. In what ways do you look at or notice about women that differs from how you perceive/notice men?
    I notice women. I don't notice men all that much. I notice everything about a woman from minute facial features to her style to how she moves/talks, etc. I notice eye color, the shape of her lips and eyes and eyebrows and physique etc etc...everything about her. When viewing any image in the media, whether it be magazines or movies, anything that has both a man and a woman in it in the same image, I notice the girl and my eyes are drawn to her, not the man. How is it different from how I perceive/notice men? With men I tend to notice the entire guy and am usually not very impressed or interested enough to spend long observing them. I do not notice details about guys. I like what is guy-ish about them and their "guy-ness" is sort of burly and nice, but I'm not enamored with it like I am with everything that encompasses being a woman.

#1 thinthinline, Apr 7, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2013
  2. pinklov3ly

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Re: Lesbians, how did you know you were gay AND what do you notice about women in gen

Well, I didn't know they was an actual term for how I felt back then. Anyway, I was about 6 years old and my friend decided to explore each others bodies. I didn't think that we were doing anything wrong, but her Mom caught us. I was terrified because I thought she was going to tell my Mom, but she did not. In addition to that, I had a crushes on all of my female friends and my teacher. I truly believe that I was in love with her.

I notice a woman's body, the way she walks, laughs, speaks, her hair etc. I don't really pay attention to men. I'll speak to them, but that's about it. I don't try to impress them like, I would do if I saw an attractive female. Plus, my best guy friend is attached to my hip. So, whenever we go out, guys do not try to hit on me, which is great.

3. Maddy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Re: Lesbians, how did you know you were gay AND what do you notice about women in gen

I knew when I was little, five or six, that when I grew up I'd be happy if I had a wife. I'd never heard of the concept of homosexuality, it just crossed my mind that if I grew up and married a woman, I'd be happy with that. I found myself with sexual and romantic feelings for girls when I was around 13. It was more about wanting physical affection than sex, developing crushes and romantic feelings for friends.

I notice women's faces, smiles, voices. But in general, when it comes to people on the street, I don't pay much attention. It's when I start talking to a girl that I really start looking at her.

4. evora

1. How did you know you were gay? This can be the first clue (ie: age ___, I noticed.. etc), or a general brief description (ie: I just wasn't interested in boys. etc).

I didn't know for a long time that I was gay. I thought something was very wrong with me and felt guilty for not having any interest in boys. I was also scared because I've always been told women had to marry men and have children eventually. When I was little, I didn't have a problem with having a husband if it meant having my own babies (I thought it would be the same as having a dog you have to put up with - I was very young!) but after I learnt what I'd have to do with a man to make those babies, I realized I could not do it and that made me feel even more scared and guilty because I've never been told there were different ways to live your life.

I am attracted to them. Well, some of them, anyway. I've never been attracted to heterosexual looking women. I don't pay attention to them anymore because it's a waste of time but I do notice the ones with short hair or if they look at me in a way that makes me notice them. I can't explain this very well. What made me finally realize that I was gay, was the fact that it's always been women I've felt something for, and never men or boys.
    With men, I sometimes think 'you're so handsome, why can't I be attracted to you? what is wrong with me?', but other than that, I just can't see their appeal. I really can't.

5. Kgirl

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

I only really accepted how I feel this year at age 25 but now I look back, the signs were all there, I just didn't see them for what they are. I used to think I'd notice attractive girls because I wanted to look like them or something. And about my lack of feelings towards guys, I just figured I was picky :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

6. jeanie

jeanie Guest

First clue: I can actually remember something vague when I was like 6...but I definitely had a crush on a friend when I was 11.

Women are just striking to me. I know when a guy is attractive, but I've never been amazed by how handsome a guy is. With women I've been in awe, just seeing how beautiful someone is to me. Plus women (the ones I like anyway) have a femininity and sensuality that draws me in.

7. piratealisonnn

When I was 12 I had a teacher who was a lesbian. This was my first encounter with anyone who was gay, let alone the idea of two women being together. I was kind of a sheltered child. Anyways, it was cool with me that she was gay. I remember soon after starting school, one of the cousins had a friend over. I looked at her and was just like, "damn, she's hot." That was when I knew something was different. Took me almost 10 years later to finally face it and accept it.

I look at women and notice their beauty. I notice quirky things about them that make them cute to me, like a crooked smile or they way they laugh. The guys I find attractive tend to be the "pretty boys" that everyone finds attractive.

8. AquaRegia

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people

My first crush in 2nd grade was a girl...still remember her name strange enough. I did not know back then though I just thought I was messed up in the head ( I am slightly...)

As for attraction, there is something about women that makes me act like a tool around them *hangs head in shame*...oh yeah and all of the above.

9. cemma

1. How did I know I was gay?
    I was about 13, sleeping over at my friends house and she said "I could never be gay, I could never do anything with a girl. ew" And in my head I was like hold up what? I could. But then after that never really thought more about it until a year ago when I started to really peice it together and it hit me that I am most certainly attracted to girls.

2. I love the middle section, hips. Its what I notice about girls is that mid drift part below the boobs and waist.. there is just something so much sexier about a girl than a guy whos all muscly and ew.

10. Adarya

How did you know that you were gay?
    Personally, I knew I was gay when I started realizing the feelings that I had for a specific girl (one of my best friends, actually) in a grade higher than me. After I realized that I had a crush on her I started thinking more, and finally came to the conclusion that I was gay. Before than, I had never crushed/thought about boys in the romantic relationship sort of way, and I tended to be more towards the tomboy side of things, even thoughts of being transgendered. This all started when I entered middle school, and I finally thought "Okay, I'm gay" in the seventh grade, and accepted myself and my feelings in eighth grade.

In what ways do you look at or notice about women that differs from how you perceive/notice men?
    First, I always know who I'm attracted to. Just in the small amount of time I have to recognize and appreciate a person when passing by them in the hall, I know that I always look to the females first, even if a male is standing right next to them. It's just a flicker of the eyes, but you can tell who I like from doing so (it's one of the "supposed" ways of figuring out if a person is attracted to the same sex or not). Also, my eyes are always drawn to the curves- and I have to admit breasts and butt- of the same sex, and I like the connection that I have the potential to build with a girl/woman. For guys my relationship is like a brother/sister or a best friend relationship, but with girls it can really go either way, including romantic feelings and relationship.

11. CelticRae

1. How did you know you were gay? This is kind of a tricky one, do you mean consciously or subconsciously? Because the earliest gay memory that I can recall now that I am older was when I was like 11 or 12 when I went to see the first tomb raider film. I kid you not, to this very day the only things I remember about that movie were angelina's tits flying out in one scene and something about an ice cave thats it. At the time didn't think any thing of it. I was just a kid but now that I think about it, so gay. So I guess that was the subconscious one. The undeniable one was when I was like 15/16 and I discovered fan fiction.......the erotic kind. I was just reading regular fan fiction when I stumbled upon some erotic femslash by accident. Lets just say I got the most massive lady boner you could ever imagine so I ran out of the computer room and up the stairs. It scared the shit out of me. I pretended like it never had happened. But I kept finding myself going back to that website over and over again. :wink:

Honestly I don't notice men like at all. I literally don't see them. Even when I was younger I had trouble determining what an "attractive guy" was when all of my friends asked me who I thought was cute. It was kinda funny actually. I really should have known sooner that I was gay, but you gotta cut me some slack because I went to a very strict religious school were you could be expelled for being gay so yeah. Men don't attract me like women do. I can appreciate a man with a symmetrical face, but its pure ascetics. I don't "want" their body. I have no desire to do things to them. Women on the other hand, I can't resist them. Everything about them, the way they smell, look, sound. It is so attractive to me. I can't explain why its like this, It just is.

12. lawRAWR

I could see myself with a girl in the near future. My relationships with boys just didn't seem right and I don't feel emotionally attracted with boys.

If I find a girl attractive I will have a little flutter. I can recognise their personalities easier

13. sillyolme

From around Year 7 (I have no idea what this is american-ized, sorry) I have noticed myself looking at people in the changing rooms (someone caught me and yelled it to the rest of the class, which was terrifying) but I thought nothing of it. I noticed even more, recently and have to stare at a point on the wall, or I will get kinda distracted. Then, realised my lack of attraction towards guys and how, I just don't get attracted to them, despite my numerous amounts of straight relationships.

See above. I hardly ever find a guy even good-looking, so when my friends remark on a guy's "hotness" I am often just nodding my head and going along with it. Whereas, with girls, I notice them a lot more and if they are wearing a low-crop top, I find it difficult to keep my eyes focused on their face :/ Also, if I see a girl (so far this has only happened on the internet) that I think looks absolutly adorable/hot/beyond words, I often make these incoherant sounds, kinda gibberish without meaning (not dissimilar to fangirling) kinda blush and curl up in my chair. Don't get this with guys. At all

14. Black Swan

1. I first knew when I had a female celeb crush at 13, then a real one later.
    2. I notice if a woman is particularly attractive (or sexy), and ironically I am sometimes drawn to masculinity in women. I guess I just notice everything about them.

15. nylondon

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all

It's a long story I suppose, but even when I was just starting at school I knew I found boys "plain" and girls "nice". When I was around 17 I acknowledged these feelings as sexual, and only recently (age 21) as romantic. Realised there was probably a reason why I hadn't been able to get a boyfriend in years no matter how much I tried (or didn't try!).

When I see an attractive woman, I think to myself, "oh, damn" and have to look away. Haha. Whereas, I can see a man is attractive (let's say Ryan Gosling), but it doesn't really do anything for me. With women I am more inclined to look at the details. I don't really know how to explain it any further!

16. Melodica

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian

At about age 12, I had sex with my female friend. I loved her. I really didn't want to be a lesbian though. I denied it over and over again. But I knew deep down inside that I wanted a sexual relationship with her. Then when her parents divorced and her dad took her away halfway across the state. I missed her. We whispered sweet nothings over the phone, hoping to one day be together. But since then we grew apart, and I knew a relationship was no longer a possibility. I have since been checking out girls and basically waiting to find Ms. Right.

Women are gorgeous. The curves on a woman are hypnotizing. I often find myself wishing, "If only she were gay." When I really, really like a girl, I will spend a lot of time with her. Even if she's straight. I am more often attracted to asian women than women of any other race. The girl I have a crush on now is half korean. I want so badly to be with her. I hope this doesn't sound too weird, but I also love the way women smell, sweet like daisies. Ain't a guy in the world that smells like that.

Sorry about giving my life story.

17. Britishskittles

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family

1. When I am falling for someone I cant stop thinking about them , and I just want to spend all my time with them and make them feel good and I care what they think about me too much . When I only got these feelings about women that's when I knew I was gay, and when with men I just to feel like one of them I don't want them to notice me as different and I don't think about friends that are boys nearly as much or miss them in the same way and I don't want to kiss them.
    2. When I notice a women I find attractive or fancy I notice mainly that I want to get to know her a lot more like theres something I find addictive almost that makes me crave being around her. With women I look at want there most physical attractive feature is when I first meet them and then go onto to getting to know them , where as with men I go straight to their personality not even considering looks.

18. Butterfly16

Butterfly16 Guest

1. For a while I convinced myself I am bisexual. It was only because my mother shoved the whole "its a sin thing" in my head when I was 13
    2. Their voice, their laugh, the way they walk. I notice guys but im not interested in dick, thinking about sex with a guy makes me cringe. I had a bf, but never would have had sex with him. He is like a best friend to me or brother, really

19. softsprite

Out Status:
    Some people

1. Age 12, staring at girls all the time. Felt suddenly weird hugging my friends. Like electricity.

2. Girls smell heavenly. Soft cheeks, soft hair. The space between ear and collarbone, the neck, inner thigh, eyelashes, hands. The laugh, the voice. Walking, dancing. I don't even know how to pick out an attractive guy in a crowd. I could go on and on about some particular girl and all the reasons she is attractive, even if not conventionally so. I guess that sums it up.

20. Cutigirl123

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual

I never really noticed I was attracted to girls till about 16 but I remember when I was little always looking at other girls and even in movies or cartoons always being attracted to the girl and I had a lot of girl crushes when I was younger.:icon_wink

I notice her eyes,smile, personality, and body