1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My anger and aggression.

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by PinkFluff, Apr 7, 2013.

1. PinkFluff

I have been very volitale about "snapping" since I was less than 10. As far back as I can think I have always been very easy to set off.
    Over the past 3 years, my anger got worse, and filled me with thoughts of violence and suicide for days on end. I think about tomorrow and I feel like screaming. Even though there is no reason to. Tomorrow will just be a normal day. I've talked to the school councillor and he did nothing and I saw a therapist for about 13 months. Normally, I am fine and calm, but the smallest things set me off filling me with an urge to hurt myself and others. Again as stated above, these last for days on end.

I dont know what to do.

2. 4ever Hearth

Man, i've recently found myself in the same boat. The only thing that keeps me calm and together is laughing and music. Social situations don't help me much because I become anxious about how someone is going to act towards me and I focus on not over-reacting and I usually end up isolating myself.

Best thing I can say is, if your still seeing a therapist or still keep contact, ask him or her about some coping mechanisms for social situations and start from there.

Dude, I hope you manage to find something to keep it together and try your best not to taunt yourself with feeling like a "freak", "weirdo" or possible "psycho." Try your best not to completely isolate yourself, find a group of people you feel comfortable with and hang with them whenever you feel like you're going to lose it. But dont, and I repeat dn't talk to them about it. Remember, this circle is supposed to be an escape from the problem, you can't let it thrive within it. Practically speaking, they probably can't help anyways and it's just going to make them feel bad about themselves.

So plz dn't make that mistake which is what I did and am paying for it dearly. And the last thing you want is the people closest to you, treating you like some kind of animal that they care for yet fear at the same time. So stick with a therapist and if you feel you need to, speak about every once and awhile outside of therapy but don't dwell on it(which is what I meant with the above statement).

Best of Luck and I hope you manage to resolve this. :thumbsup:

3. pinklov3ly

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You could be suffering from a mental illness. I used to feel like you've described, but I've learned to control my anger. You should try a new hobby, like boxing; it will give you an outlet for your anger. Please try not to hurt yourself or anyone else. If you feel like you cannot, please tell someone close to you because they will be able to help you.

4. Jonimarie

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Do you sometimes find your self in the extreme opposite place. Do you sometimes feel extremely happy and good, for reason in particular. I could last a few hours or days sometimes? I ask because mental health issues run in my mothers side of the family and what you are describing sound similar to being Bipolar.

5. Eleanor Rigby

Did you think about practicing a martial art like judo or karate or even boxing ? That might be a good way to learn how to get control over your anger while enabling you to express your aggressiveness.

6. AAASAS

Music can be very mood altering.

I've been a relatively snappy and moody person the past 7 years over dealing with sexuality, and the only thing that has ever gotten rid of my problems or gave me temporary relief was listening to positive or harmonic instrumentals. My mom and friends consistently chirps me for being a very hard person to talk to. So I definitely do have anger issues. The only time I don't get road rage from asshole drivers is when I am listening to my music, if my ipod dies and I have to listen to the radio I am going to be honking at everyone.

People say working out is good, and it can be, but I find it can be me more excitable, and doesn't have the same calming effect as music does.

It is therapy basically for me. Studies have linked high amounts of dopamine release with music listeners; this only goes for those who listen to harmonic, loopy music(pop music best example but I don't listen to pop and get the same feeling if not stronger). Listening to heavy metal, hard rock, dub step, and most intense club music will not do this as strongly. Repetitive calm instrumentals are the best(I listen to mainly upbeat jazz, hip-hop and reggae) . Only about 7% of the population can get dopamine release from music on a regular basis and I am one of those; though I think it is mainly do to the kind of music I listen to other peoples musical selections are in the categories less likely to make you get "high" as do harmonic loopy instrumentals. I literally get chills all over my body from certain songs and my hair stands on end, I have tried every drug except for heavy hallucinogens and have never felt as good as I do when a song I can't go without is playing.

When one anticipates a line or music the brain has music, the brain rewards itself by releasing dopamine(since you are so happy to listen to the song). It is the only proven aesthetic thing in existence that can make you feel as good. Everything else requires drug use, or physical activity.

So try listening to more calming music, try searching on youtube for different artists and compile a list of songs that calm you. I don't mean listen to ambient music , or weird progressive band, but pick your favourite genre and try to find TALENTED artists that do mainly instrumentals.

The reason instrumentals is so important is because lyrics can get in the way of your interpretation of the song and alter your mood. There are plenty of songs with positive messages, but if the singer doesn't sing a line that gives you the chills it most likely isn't the right song. As well with instrumentals your thoughts are free to focus on the sound and just how nice it sounds, this is what allows you to react much more intensely to instrumentals. Lyrics cloud this feel as you are focusing on what is being said.

Every type of music has calming instrumental alternatives. And music is the only thing that can cause you to release dopamine without having to put something in your body. Processing the sound alone is enough to do it, just like sniffing a line of coke or stuffing your facehole with a pie is. But at least with music it is free, and does no harm to your body.

If I am pissed and don't have access to music I usually just think about(don't fault me for this) how bad people in the third world, and politically unstable countries have life, even those in my own town with abusive parents or financial problems. It is sad to say that other people's misery can make you feel better but it can. ONLY BECAUSE when I think about other less fortunate people's situation I kind of don't feel the right to be angry about what I am angry about, so it tends to make me calm down since I see no justification for my anger when compared to other peoples problems. This doesn't make you feel happy, just no angry anymore, so I recommend music of this. But humbling yourself and thinking about how trivial your problems are when compared to others really does help.

#6 AAASAS, Apr 10, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2013
  7. IrishEyes1989

I hear you PinkFluff. I too have issues with anger. Usually, the only thing that works for me is to remove myself from the situation that is making me mad and spend at least half an hour completely by myself. When I'm alone, I relax and come down from the high of the anger. My thoughts become rational again and I look at the situation wondering how and why I flew off the handle in the first place. That's the really scary thing about anger, how quickly it can overtake you. I really turn into the Hulk when it happens to me.

A couple of weeks ago my mum bought this oral spray called Rescue Remedy, which is an all-natural stress reliever. She saw it on Dr. Oz (whom she watches religiously and tries everything he endorses lol) and immediately went out and bought it. Since she brought it home, whenever someone in our family starts to get mad, she brings out the spray haha. I don't really believe it works, but I'm willing to try anything that might. Just thought I'd mention it in case you're looking for different methods of dealing your anger.

WooEEE, I agree with you about music being fantastic as well!