1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My mum has depression. I have exams. Sexuality confusion. Help...?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by lawRAWR, Apr 9, 2013.

1. lawRAWR

Wow. My life has become hectic and confusing.
    Long story short: My stepdad came home pissed yesterday and started saying horrible things to my mum.
    Myself, mum and my brother cannot leave because we would be in a fincancial crisis, Mum wouldn't be able to buy a house for us three, I'd have to live with my Dad. She went to the doctors today and has been diagnosed with moderate depression...
    I have exams soon, about 14 of them and all this isn't helping.
    I'm still trying to find out who I am, sexuality-wise.
    Anxiety. I have prom coming up >.<
    I seriously don't know what to do.
    Sorry that this is all too much to take in and I know there isn't a pill out there that can solve all of this (although I wish there was), I guess I have no one to talk to about this so I offloaded here

Thank you, for anything and everything.

:tears: :icon_sad::icon_redf

2. Femmeme

(*hug*)
    I had a awful drunk stepdad that mother had trouble leaving because of financial reasons. It sucks. We did eventually get out, but it was rough going. I think laying low and and occasionally letting your mother know that seeing her happier would be worth living in poverty are the best bets. My mother, sister and I lived in a tiny one bedroom apt once she left. It was tough but it was worth it.

As for your sexuality, it's not going anywhere and you don't have to find the answer today. Try taking a day off, where you completely set it out of your mind. It's an important part of who you are, but it isn't the whole of you. Focus on those other neglected parts.

Maybe you can use studying as an escape. Five head first into those books and let everything fade away for awhile.

3. lawRAWR

Thank you so much, this has really helped. That's sad you had been through that, but happiness, as you have said, is the answer.
    Yes, sexuality is only one aspect and I'll let that slide during times like these.
    Once again, thank you very much (*hug*)

4. Femmeme

You are absolutely welcome, if you need to talk or vent about it I'm here. Someday you may even look back at this time in your life and really be grateful for how it helped make you a strong, independent woman. I know I do. <3

5. JPC

JPC Guest

Femmeme gave you some really great advice, particularly the part about using your studies as an escape from all of the drama. I can relate to pretty much your whole situation, I used to lock myself away in my room and study when my parents were splitting up and I ended up getting great grades.

6. bingostring

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yup, Fememme is right.
    Exams are a "not to be missed" opportunity and so important for your own future.
    What's more.. they will be over very quickly. Just weeks away
    I would focus on exams and even use exams to block out the other stuff
    I hope it goes well

7. Kgirl

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Sounds like a bad time you're going through right now. I know how you feel having a parent with depression. It's hard for everyone and not always easy to know what to do for the best. Please try and find somewhere, maybe away from home, to try and focus on studying for your exams right now. I'm sure all your family would want the best for your future.

8. IrishEyes1989

(*hug*) I know exactly how you feel, hon. I'm feeling the same way right now. Life is just too much to handle sometimes. I hope you can take comfort, as I have, in the fact that this community is so wonderful and supportive. We are all here for each other.