1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A guy I like and I want to let go of him...It's also causing other problems

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Aptiva, Apr 11, 2013.

1. Aptiva

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Please forgive me for the length of this post, I just need to vent. Also forgive me please if this is the wrong place to be posting this.

So, there's this guy that I've liked since last semester. Last semester in the class that we had together, he seemed flirty with me, especially since every day he'd end up lightly 'kicking' my feet once, twice or three times in the class, since he sat behind me in his desk.

Well, ever since I got some responses to a similar post on my old account here I've tried to let go of him, even though I don't know if he's gay or not and I'm not going to bother to try and figure it out. I'm still trying to let go of him, but I can't.

Anyways, that's the first part of this post. The second one is about the problems that *he* is causing for me.

I like him a lot, mainly because he's incredibly handsome and he's taller than I am, which I like. But it's causing some serious self esteem issues for me.

I become jealous of guys that I like for a few reasons, and I'll outline what those things are for me (in this guy I like) and why it's making me feel worse about myself.

• According to statistics, he's probably straight. It seems that I only like straight guys because I'm into masculine guys, just as I'm masculine myself.
    • He's taller than me and this causes a couple of things for me to be jealous about.
      1. I'm very short and am not proud to be short. I'm 5'6" and most people at school are taller than I am.
      2. I hope I'm not going to get called out for this, but penis size is another factor. Penis size is associated with height and having big feet. He's tall and got quite sizable feet. I can only assume he's got a large penis which makes me feel horrible about myself. And the fact that he's straight makes it so much worse for me.
    • He's good looking and I can't have someone who's good looking because that's just not how it works.
    • He's a football player. I just found out yesterday. I don't know why, but I'm jealous of that because it makes him all that much more attractive.
    • He's highly intelligent. I regard myself to not be very intelligent. The way I see this is because he's in all -1 classes (say it like dash one or dash two) or AP classes and I'm -2 in everything but math, which I'm -3 in. (I don't know how High School works everywhere else, but here in Canada a class' difficulty is marked with -1, -2, - 3, or -4, with 1 being the hardest [Aside from AP which is waaay harder] and 4 being the easiest.)
    The fact that this is happening is causing some serious self-loathing thoughts. I know it's okay to be gay and I've previously accepted it but I can no longer accept it. I now hate myself for being gay since it makes life just that much harder.

I've also got depression. It's not the trauma induced version, it's the actual chemical imbalance in my brain. It wasn't a formal diagnosis, however. I just believe I've got a chemical imbalance because talking my problems through or doing therapy does nothing to get rid of this depression and my mom's also got a formally diagnosed depression. Since I take after my mom in pretty much every aspect I can only assume that that's been passed down to me.

These feelings that are being provoked are causing suicidal thoughts. I honest to God (Yes, honest, not honestly) want to die because I'm gay and can't have the guy that I'm absolutely infatuated with. As a matter of fact, I feel that I'll never meet the guy that I think is perfect. I've got fairly low standards as to what my "perfect man" is, all I need is for myself to find them attractive and for them to be as tall or taller than me, not an asshole and not stupid. Those thoughts come from the fact that gay people are hard to come by aside from the Internet. I still really want a boyfriend because I feel terrifyingly lonely, but I know deep down in my heart that I'll be lonely forever.

What makes things worse is that I also find myself to be physically unattractive. Being short is one thing against me. The rest doesn't really need to be described because you already know what I'm talking about.

There is this guy in my design studies class who I do like and who may also like me back, but I've learned to never take it the way I want it to go because it might not turn out that way. Not only that, but I know that, no matter how much motivating you wonderful people (that is not sarcasm) try to do I know that I'll never get the guts to talk to him, so I guess I can say I'm pretty much done with life.

To add to all that, I've also got a pretty bleak outlook for life, but that's a whole different story.

If you've read this far, you are the best person known to mankind and for that, I thank you.

Please, I need help! I don't want to tell my parents or a councillor!

#1 Aptiva, Apr 11, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2013
  2. LD579

Well... I've read this whole post. I've read longer things, so you don't have to worry about the length being a deterrent.

Really, it almost sounds like your jealousy is stemming from the fact that you like guys that you admire (smarter, taller, better-looking, etc.), and so it's an odd blend of envy and attraction. There's one way you can consciously try to let this fade away: give other guys a chance. If smart, tall, good-looking guys are rare, it'd only make sense that relationships with a guy like that are rare.

As for wanting to die... Your family would be devastated. For that reason, I highly implore you to talk to someone about these feelings. I can relate to some substantial degree, but I'm only a peer, so to speak. I'm not trained or anything. If it is, as you say, a chemical imbalance, it may not hurt to look into medicine options with a doctor or psychiatrist. There're tons of options and all (like a bajillion SSRIs, some MAOIs...), and your mom would likely understand, if she's gone through a chemical-imbalance-induced depression.

Really, there's not much more to say. There'll always be hot, smart, nice, and tall guys out there who are unattainable, and it does suck that they may never be an option in terms of dating solely based on incompatible orientations.

But... If you do want to find a guy, and it definitely sounds like you do, you'll have to hold on and wait. You're only 16. Many 16-year-olds have not dated or done anything with another person (relationship-wise) at all. I'd suggest that you give yourself a fair while of time before you start to feel that you'll never find your dream guy. It's far too soon to say that you'll be lonely forever.

If you never talk to that guy in your design studies class, it doesn't mean you're done with life at all. He's one opportunity that may or may not work out.

I do suggest that you talk to your mom about being depressed. You could plan a trip to a doctor or psychiatrist and see if medicine may help your case. At the very least, by sharing part of your burden, you'll feel more supported and less weighted.

3. Aptiva

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Wow...Thanks for that, that really did make me feel a bit better.

I guess I should talk to someone, but I'm not sure who...Maybe a gay friendly therapist that isn't going to try and "convert" me (when it's actually impossible)?

It's just that life feels so 'empty' for me...I'm too scared to tell anyone else that I'm gay even if I know that they'll accept me (such as my mom. My sister is a lesbian, just for the record, but still, I don't feel I can say anything) and being lonely sucks...Like really sucks.

I guess I have to try and talk to that other guy I do like. I'm kinda starting to realize that we've got 'connections', meaning mutual friends.

4. June Cleaver

At 16 you may not have fully grown yet. I was 27yo when I grew to 6 foot. I was 25 and still 5'9" and 90# with a 26" to 28" waist. I was tiny and thought I would stay that way. Then it happened and I grew to 6' and 160# in a little over a year then in my 30's I filled in by 35 to 180# with a 32" waist.

Dick size has nothing to do with height or foot size. My ex had a midget lover like 4' tall he would cheat on me with and when I caught them and saw his dick was like 8" long. I also had a customer's husband who was like 7' tall who has 5" which looked tiny on his huge body. I have found there is no real way to tell until his pants come off. The closest way I know is attatude and stance, which is not 100%. I also have found the ones who brag the most are the biggest dissapointments all the way through.

It took me till I was 40 before I found the perfect man. He is my perfect mate and is straight like always. The sad part is he loves me too but can't get over my wrong body. So we became FWB until I got with Mike. He is free of his GF and now is hinting he might be the one just last night which confuses me, but that is my life. I would have told you prior to meeting him that the perfect man does not exist. We each have our own idea of what that is. Don't wait for him, because you want to have pleanty of experence when you do meet him. See now at 40 I know I could keep a healthy, happy relationship with him if it was ever to be.

I agree with the advise on the rest of the posts in regards to the rest. Good luck, June

5. lull23

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I was very short at school - there were just two guys in my year shorter. I'd started puberty around the same time as all my friends, so it was just my height that stayed the same.

Then, around 18 and out of nowhere, I shot up. I'm now just a tad over the average height for a guy - it just took me a little longer to get there!

Point of this post? Don't freak out about your height, you never know when your body will decide to grow. And you have ZERO control over that, so don't fret about it.

6. Aptiva

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I guess you can say I'm extremely impatient. But thanks anyways.

---------- Post added 13th Apr 2013 at 12:22 AM ----------

Well, the main reason I'm panicking over height is because I've been 5'6" for literally 3 years now with literally no change. But, I guess I don't know, right?