1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lying

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Silver Sparrow, Apr 14, 2013.

1. Silver Sparrow

So I've realized that I lie an extreme amount about every-day things. Thinks like saying I did something, or adding an extra fact onto a story (like when I was telling someone that I am beginning exposure therapy for my anxiety, I added a compulsion that I do not have). People don't notice because I don't usually change the facts dramatically (I usually add untrue information, change minor information like time of day, or just blatantly admit the truth). On personal writing assignments I will completely make something up, which I will do as well when my friends and I are just talking. I can't think of more specific examples, but I will reply to this post when I think of more.
    I always feel really guilty after I realize I've lied, but I just don't stop. Does anyone have any advice for how to keep yourself from lying?

2. BornInTexas

I used to do this a fair amount, too. What you have to do is watch what you are saying and writing. Before you speak, gather what you want to say, and make sure it is truthful, then speak and write.

3. Bree

Ah. Yes. My sister used to do something like this--she finally started working on it after I called her out on it. She lied automatically, where it didn't matter, and then felt guilty after and lied more to protect her first lies.
    I don't know how close you are to your friends and family, but if you want to try our strategy:
    First, tell the people that you spend the most time around that you've realized you have this automatic lying problem. It might help to find a buddy to help explain, because this is hard. They may have a hard time trusting you. Then promise them that every time you lie automatically, you'll immediately correct yourself and tell them the truth. (i.e. "Sorry, that's not quite right. The truth is []")In exchange for your honesty, they pledge to not get upset about the lie.
    This gives you the ability to think about what your saying and tell yourself and others the truth. The more of your attention you focus on your lying, and the more you correct yourself, the less automatic the lies will become until you don't use them at all. It didn't take my sister very long actually, once the awareness was there.

4. can you think of a reason why you do it?
    if so, might wanna work on that then the lies will stop im sure.