1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do I cope with losing all of my friends?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Stridenttube, Apr 15, 2013.

1. Stridenttube

Stridenttube Guest

So I've just found out that my best friend is moving in with a few of his coworkers. It's far enough away that I probably won't ever get to see him again. My other friend is leaving for the army, and my last friend is moving to South Carolina. This leaves me with no friends, and I'm already so sad and drepressed that this is just about all I can handle. It took me years to build the friendships I have and now there all leaving.

I'm sure I'm not the only one who has gone through this. Any advice?

2. BornInTexas

The most direct thing you could do is find more people and acquaintences to talk to, and you may want to build friendships from that. It will:

- Boost your self-confidence
    - Make you happier
    - Make you less stressed

You could also get to know yourself a little bit more, too. Take a date with YOURSELF. :grin: Go to the movies, bathe in a long, hot shower or bath, treat yourself to dinner out or order in and watch TV or play games. Go for a walk and run. Find a new activity to do somewhere social, and maybe you could meet friends.

There are lots of options, but YOU MUST KNOW ONE THING! I'm your friend, and so is EC. :grin: You're never without one.

3. Stridenttube

Stridenttube Guest

Well, I'm not in a position where I can meet new people. I'm incredibly shy so its hard to make friends. I never real had friends when I was growing up, then I met three awesome people that I became friends with my senior year. I was with them more than I was with my family. I wasted my childhood and now that I'm able to do things with my friends I can't, because they are all leaving and going thier separate ways. Being with friends is the only thing that keeps my depression at bay, and now that barrier is being removed. Guess its time to buck up and get used to being alone forever.

4. funnylion

funnylion Guest

I'm really sad to hear about all of your friends leaving. Are you/ would they still be in a position to keep in touch with you via social networks or phone calls? I know it's not a replacement for seeing them in person but just being able to talk to them might help the transition. I wish you all the best!

5. Stridenttube

Stridenttube Guest

Nope, won't be able to keep in touch with any of them. I've been trying not to cry all day but I think I'm about to break down. :tears:

Every bit of my happiness has been getting ripped away for the last 6 months. I don't know who to talk to anymore.

6. Ettina

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I moved away from my friends, and still haven't managed to make more. Mostly what I'm doing is focusing on trying to get to a place where I can move back with them, because making new friends is extremely difficult for me.

7. Anomander

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    You need to get out an meet new people with a common interest, staying in your room playing video games or whatever wont help. I am a very shy introvert as well, I moved right before high-school and had no friends for the first two years. Are you still in High-school? Going to College? Make an inventory of the things you like to do and I am sure there will be something you can go to to meet people with a common interest. For example I can meet people at the gym when I lift, I play Magic the Gathering so I could go to Friday Night Magic at a card shop, I know in high-school my school had a video-game club I went to a few times. I don't really know what interests you but I can assure you that you wont be alone forever... I was in the same place Freshman and Sophomore year of high-school in the friends department...

8. photoguy93

I have best friends who live away. Frankly, for a few of them, it's probably a blessing. We talk and text often and when we do see each other, it's AMAZING. we appreciate each other more.

Here is my advice - besides the friend in the army, if your friends aren't going to be able to keep in touch with you, then they aren't your friends. You don't have to talk all the time, but if the can't be there for you (and you can't be there for them) then you honestly shouldn't waste your time. There's obviously am adjustment period for everyone, but you should still be able to stay in touch.

Just live your life and you will find friends. In my opinion, the best friends are the ones you find when you aren't looking.

And, as always, if you are having a major issue, seek help from appropriate people and places.

I know it's tough, but you can do it.

9. lawRAWR

I don't have many friends at the moment, but it's mainly due to differences in character and interests. You will find some new people, and I always say that family are the best friends in some cases. We'll always be here to chat at EC :slight_smile: If these friends of yours, who are moving away, won't keep in touch with you, then they aren't really friends.

10. remainnameless

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hey fellow Oklahoman XD Your not alone, k? Just keep fighting man, I have and things are really changing for me. PUT YOURSELF OUT THERE, MAKE YOURSELF UNCOMFORTABLE. Life's to short to lay around and throw a pity part, waiting for someone else to make the change for you.

---------- Post added 16th Apr 2013 at 04:25 PM ----------

Get out there and MAKE some friends!

11. Stridenttube

Stridenttube Guest

Turns out he misspoke so my best friend is moving away, he's moving into town with a friend who lives away. (!) I still need to get out more. :icon_sad: