1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I feel so disconnected from everyone else.

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Stridenttube, Apr 15, 2013.

1. Stridenttube

Stridenttube Guest

Recently I've been feeling really disconnected from everyone else. It's like I'm surrounded by everyone who knows what they're doing and where they're going. Meanwhile, I'm here and I don't know what the hell my life is going to turn out like, I imagine probably not very good. My friends hardly talk to me anymore. They all have girlfriends and its like they want to rub it in my face. I feel like I don't even belong in this world, like I'm in the wrong era. I feel like I'm supposed to be in a time long ago where the world was simpler and life was less stressful. I don't know what to do. :help:

2. Nyanko

I'd say you're focusing too much on what everyone else is doing rather than what you want. It's alright to not know what you wanna do in life, and you shouldn't rush yourself to try to be like the others. Yes, it'd be nice to also feel successful, but it's not something you can expect to happen within a day, you have to make it happen; know what you want and go for it.

Friends aren't friends if they abandon you for a girlfriend, so if they're not thinking about you, why should you worry about what they're doing? But if you were really close, talk to them. It's not a bad idea to be the first to just say, "hey, we haven't talked in a while, what's up?" because they might be worried about not having talked to you either.

You'll be in that position someday; don't rush yourself. In your hurry to try being like all these people, you're not really thinking about you, but the success you want. That's totally fine, but don't make that your priority, and just go for things that you know will make you happy; that's true success.

3. Gravity

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Everything you're describing is totally natural. It's very common to feel down because you're the only single one, or you're the only one without a career, or whatever.

But, let's assume you're right. If you are, in fact, the only one, that could be a bummer...or it could be a lot of fun. You're the only one who gets to be single and "on the prowl" - everyone could go out and try to meet people for you to talk to. You're the only one who can get people into a "does he or doesn't he" discussion while you're all hanging out at night anymore. You're the only one who can tell people about the new idea you had about a place to look for a job, or take a new class, or get a new certification for something.

I spent three years as the only single person in a group of 7 friends - myself and three married couples. And I often got the feeling that they were bored when I wasn't around - nobody else was there to talk about the dating scene or what have you.

And when you finally do meet someone - you're going to have a lot of friends who will be really excited for you, cause they haven't seen a new relationship in ages. :slight_smile:

Give them a call and see if they want to do something some night soon. Even if you have to plan a night or two in advance, it could still be fun. Maybe they could use someone to break their routine.

4. BoiGeorge

BoiGeorge Guest

You sound like me :/ I constantly wish that I lived in simpler times

5. Cy Clone

Cy Clone Guest

If you feel disconnected, it is up to you to either re-connect or make new connections. There are many who don't know what they're doing or where they're going. And what makes you think the world was simpler and less stressful a long time ago? Good luck!

6. June Cleaver

Nearly everyone feels this way at some time. It is FALSE! As Americans these days, we are told it's your way right away! With i phones, self help, i force V-8s, and all the other trends about "me' and instant gradification. This is all false thinking. Don't worry so much or focus on yourself and you will get all you need in life with time. Good luck! June