1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Low cost therapy/counseling: any good?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by BMC77, Apr 16, 2013.

1. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Recently, thanks to the praise for therapy from at least a couple of people here, I've been thinking of giving it a try.

Problem is...my budget is...rather limited. Supposedly, there are low cost options. But...I keep wondering how good are those options? Logically, it seems like someone who is good is going to command a healthy hourly charge, and still potentially have more business than he or she can accept.

While I suppose it can be argued "something is better than nothing," I do have concerns about starting a project, hitting a brick wall, but being forced to go on because the mess that is my subconscious mind is stirred up. And yet not being able to go on because the funds just ain't there.

Plus, let me know if you have ideas either about things to look for, or things to make me run, screaming for cover.

As always, thanks!

2. theMaverick

Well...for whatever it is you are seeking therapy for, trying searching for the issue, with the word therapy or counseling behind it, and then your city.

Like for instance "gay counseling Dallas".

And then once you've found someone who will address whatever you need them to, contact them and ask them about pricing, and see if their flexible on the pricing.

3. Hefiel

Have you looked around yet to see the price range asked by Psychologist and Psychiatrist in your area and what kind of options they can offer? That would be the first step if you're tight on the budget, at least to know what to expect.

Stay away from Psychotherapist though, too many quacks.

4. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've had several therapists in my life, and I've also worked with or been to trainings with quite a few in a professional capacity.

What I've discovered is... age and even level of training has almost no correlation whatsoever to competence. You can have really amazing, gifted therapists that have incredible intuition and skill who are interns just finishing school... and people who have been in practice 20 years who are beyond useless.

What it really boils down to is... finding someone that you feel a connection to. You'll usually be able to tell by the 2nd or 3rd session if it feels like you're getting meaningful insights and starting to notice some change. And sometimes you'll know pretty quickly, maybe in the first session, if you don't feel a connection.

Often, the low-cost therapy offered through universities with psychology or social work programs can be a good place to start. There are also some community-based agencies and nonprofits that often have funding to offer reduced-price therapy, and some of those can be excellent as well.

IF there's an LGBT center in your area, that might also be a great place to start.

5. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thanks for the answers so far!

I probably should do that, although I feel a little uncomfortable. Part of that is, I suppose, shame of my financial position. Also it feels awkward since it's almost bickering on a used car. They are professionals, and if I can't afford them, well, tough luck for me, I guess.

I have seen published price ranges, and they always seem to start over fifty dollars.

Years back, I did one round with a counselor that wasn't too effective (at least in the sense of making a difference in my life). He was at, as I recall, sixty an hour, no negotiation. (This would have been about 2000.)

This gives me a little hope.

The connection idea is something I'll keep in mind. Although I shudder at the possible expense here of going through therapist after therapist after therapist to find one who will work for me.

I'll be checking. The one college program I know of apparently specializes in family counseling, although there is one slight indication they may do individual. There is a LGBT center in the area (1/2 hour away or so) that I'm curious to visit. Also I've toyed with asking at the church that gets my Christmas Eve and Easter attendance...although judging from the cars in the lot Easter (including Mercedes-Benz) I honestly have to think "low cost" is not an issue for most who go there....

6. Linguistic_Geek

I agree with Chip. Training and age and price usually aren't good indicators. The most expensive one might not help you, but a cheaper one might be a better fit.

Also, someone at an LGBT center might be a better fit, they may have more specific knowledge and insights than your random psychiatrist. Or at least they may be able to point you in a good direction.

7. FractiousJ

Out Status:
    Some people
    Regarding having initial visits with multiple therapists looking for one you click with I'd recommend checking out their website if they have one or a website where the therapists themselves come up with the info to describe their practice.

That way you can get a "vibe" of whether you'd be comfortable with them. Or call them to ask about fees or whether they offer sliding scales. This is how I found mine, I had one guy return my call and leave me a voicemail, just his tone and speaking speed in his message annoyed me so I didn't make an appt with him.

8. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Most therapists will do a short (10-15 mins) phone consult with you, so you can avoid paying for 10 first-time sessions. You should be able to get a good feel from that. Checking websites can help... it will give you some idea of approach and viewpoint... but there's no substitute for talking with them, either on the phone or in person, for a few minutes and seeing if you like the way they interact.

In general, I'd shy away from the church-oriented counseling. Though some clergy have good counseling skills, unless they've gone separately for a degree in psychotherapy or (non-pastoral) counseling, they typically don't have the sort of skills that one needs for good therapy.

9. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    My vision there was getting a referral to someone who is an actual therapist/counselor/somehow qualified for the job.

This approach might be worth considering in some cases. I got one such referral years back (the counselor around 2000). While the experience didn't work as hoped, I would not necessarily write off referring people to him. (Long complicated story. One issue was just the money issue, not his abilities.)

However, of course, one needs the "right" church for such referrals to work. The one years back was very liberal, and the one I might be asking at now is liberal mainstream. I would be very cautious about a referral at a conservative church. Particularly if LGBT issues are an issue. Personally, I simply avoid such churches, except for things like funerals.