1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Don't like the term Lesbian

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by sillyolme, Apr 18, 2013.

1. sillyolme

I try to explain my sexuality and say pan-romantic homosexual. They instantly see the homosexual and think "lesbian". It doesn't feel right calling myself a lesbian as that usually implies that you are Kinsey 6 with Homoromantic attraction too. If I called myself a lesbian, then, if I went out with someone other than another female, then a lot of people would just get confused. Also, I think I am Kinsey 5.999999999998. It just feels like it doesn't fit. How do I get around this? It kinda bugs me, that people say "oh, so you're a lesbian" Not because I'm in denial or I have something against Lesbians, but because, that's not who I am.

2. BubbleGum

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Honest answer:
    Most people don't know that there can be a difference between sexuality and attraction.
    Instead of just telling them your attraction/sexuality, you should try explaining it to them - but NOT by saying you're "pan-romantic"!!!
    Try saying something like "I'm only sexually attracted to girls, but when it comes to dating, I don't care about gender at all!"... or something like that.

However, people probably still won't understand what you want to say exactly because most link attraction to sexuality, which is not true in your case. It will take some time for them to realize that you can date someone without being sexually attracted to them.

If you don't want them to wonder about your partner-choices though, the best thing to do is to come out as bi. But since that's not who you are either, chances are you probably won't do it :lol:

3. Melodica

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I sort of feel the same way, but I figure if I am never going to want to have sex with guys, then I shouldn't date them. I wouldn't want to disappoint a guy if he proposed to me or something lol. I am also a 6 on the Kinsey scale (I just took the test, never heard of it before.)

4. Britishskittles

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    When talking about myself I always say I am gay , or I like girls rather than calling myself a lesbian because of my own insecurity and the negative thoughts that come to mind when someone calls me a lesbian , because of some schools teasing. Some gay people and most straight people don't know about the Kinsey scale so you may be better of using percentages , I know people that if asked or if someone insults bisexuals will call themselves 90% gay and could see themselves mayby falling for someone of the opposite gender so that's what they say, but when it comes to their parents they call themselves gay because if they where to say the truth parents would constantly be hoping they fell for someone of the opposite sex. If your sexually only attracted to one gender I would stick to dating them as it would be cruel to date someone who your not going to be sexual with , but then again I would imagine It must be very hard to fall for someone emotional but not want to sleep with them and therefore not be able to date them.