1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How can I cross-dress to be a guy?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Shadowchaser, Apr 18, 2013.

1. Shadowchaser

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hey, Im new to the whole community of FtMs but recently I've discovered that this is who I am and who I want to be...so can someone give me advice on how I should do my hair, how I should dress, all the basics. Can you please give some advice on what I should start out doing....? Thanks...! :icon_bigg

2. sillyolme

I've noticed that, just shirts and jeans work well

3. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Everyone says cut your hair short and wear super masculine clothing. What I suggest is wear and do what you're comfortable with. For me, I find hats help me. The one time I passed socially I was wearing one of my winter hats and some layered clothing. I hear guys got "sir'd" for wearing ties too. As far as hair goes, I plan on getting mine cut soon; but I hear some guys with long hair pass pretty well. There's quite a few variables I guess.

Just remember to be confident. Confidence goes a long way and might help you pass more than your clothing or hair.

4. Nemo39122

I agree with Daydreamer1 about just doing what you're comfortable with. After all, isn't that the point of dressing as a guy if you're FtM?

BUT, I understand the feeling of needing to pass as male.

I wear alot of men's cargo pants, for several reasons. The main one being I just like them. They're also pretty masculine. And also very importantly, they tend to fit pretty loosely which helps with this damn big girly butt lol (sorry if that's TMI)

As far as shirts, I tend to just wear a lot of band t-shirts. They're comfortable and pretty gender neutral, which is good because there are still quite a few situations where I DONT want to pass as male...yet. Although I tend to wear more masculine looking ones.

For flattening your chest, I got lucky that I'm naturally small-chested, so an undersized sports bra works pretty well if you're unable to buy a binder. If that's what you choose to do, I would avoid getting ones that are mostly made of cotton because they stretch out fast and halfway through the day aren't really working well anymore. I prefer ones that feel like they're made out of what swimsuits are...polyester and spandex I think.

For the hair, just do what you want. I have a kind of fauxhawk-after-a-tornado look lol where its kinda between a fauxhawk and just spiky.

Good luck, and let me know if I can help with anything or if you just want to talk :slight_smile:

5. Hexagon

I wouldn't describe it as crossdressing if you're ftm. Just... dressing. But the question still stands, I was just being pedantic.

Jeans and t-shirts are good. Pretty much what every guy wears. Cut your hair, and spike it up if you want to. Buy/make a binder if you need one. Practice your voice to make it sound lower. Learn male mannerisms and walking styles. And use male restrooms.