1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Issues with a professor...help editing email

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by wilted, Apr 18, 2013.

1. wilted

A part of Arizona where it actually snows!
    So I am taking this online class that has a group project. We have this group that we are supposed to post in. We've had this assignment for weeks and yet no one in my group will respond. I have sent emails to my professor asking what to do and if she can tell me who is in my group since there is not a list on the blog. She has been nothing but rude and has refused to give me the names of people in my group. Frankly, I have had enough of her, but I don't want to be rude like she has been. Can someone give me some feedback on what to change to sound less rude?

Here are the issues I am having right now:

1. I know where my group blog is and I have seen the two responses. However, they have not responded again about roles, meeting times, etc. Additionally, I know there are 5 or 6 people in my group. I feel that I have done everything that I can in order to get in contact with my group. I’m not sure what else I can do, except send out an email to the entire class to ask who is in group 1.
    2. I am taking this class online because of chronic health issues. I am now wishing I had taken this class in person because the stress of this group project is making things worse. I currently have pneumonia and should be resting. However, all I can think about is this group project due in less than 3 weeks.
    3. If I get less than a C in this class, I will lose my scholarship. Because the ATP assignment is worth 225 points and the class total is out of about 650, if I do not do well on this assignment I will fail the class.
    4. I really do not want to do this assignment on my own. However, if my group does not start functioning soon, then I may have to do it alone.

2. photoguy93

If you do your part, will you still fail?

If you have proof that this teacher is being unresponsive and will not help you, I would go higher. Do you have an advisor? Do you have a way to contact the head of the department, or someone in the department you know?

Or, you could email and ask what YOU can do to get a good grade since it is clear no one in your group gives a crap. The only thing I can think is maybe it is time to send a mass email and just say "hey, this needs to happen.... now."

Question, though...have other groups done stuff? You're in school. It's 3 weeks away. That's a good chunk of time away.

3. wilted

Yes, I will still fail if I do my part.

The head of the department does not care. She's an idiot. I've already talked to her. She also doesn't know this professor because this professor only teaches online and lives in an entirely different city.

3 weeks is not a good chunk of time for this assignment. We have to meet 10 times in order to get it done and there are multiple parts to the assignment. Part 1 was due on Wednesday and obviously my group did not turn it in seeing as I still have no idea who is in my group. The other groups have already met 2 times.

I think I'm just going to send a mass email to the entire class asking people from group 1 to please contact me seeing as I have no idea who is in group 1.

4. BreannaToBrian

Well, frick. Sorry about the pneumonia! :icon_sad:

Rude? No no no no, when your sick with a project on your shoulders so big that it'll fail your scholarship if not passed in a very limited amount of time and you NEED information....then you have every right to be firm with a rude/snooty professor. I don't know the messages or confrontations you've had with this professor so I don't know if you've stressed that your scholarship is at risk or what. But I'd just message her with the same words you've messaged here. You've lost contact with your assigned partners in the group, they're being unresponsive of your messages (or how else you've tried to contact them) and must rejoin with them before the 3 weeks is up otherwise the grade falls and the scholarship is lost.

What I'm seeing here is a bad attitude from a bitter woman getting in your way of getting the information you need in order for things to get back on track. It's not her scholarship at risk, it's yours and if you have to send a stressed message (not cursing her out but getting some firmness through) then do it. :tantrum:

The second alternative, send an email to the entire class and see if they respond to it... Good luck though and get well! :smilewave

P.S. sorry if my message is a little chaotic. I think I put too much sugar in my coffee this morning...:beer:

5. Ticklish Fish

Could you talk with the dean? I don't know.

6. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Another vote for talking with the Dean/Division Head/whoever is above the department head.

Also if worse comes to worst, you might be able to preserve the scholarship by explaining to the scholarship people what happened.

Another possibility: is it too late to drop the class? If so, will it hurt your scholarship? My college allowed class drops all the way up to just before finals, and I had one classmate who partied all term long, and dropped half his classes at the last minute.

7. wilted

I will talk to the Dean if this professor sends another rude email back.

It is too late to drop the class at this point. Dropping the class would also effect my scholarship since I have to take 15 credits each semester.

8. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    It's also worth noting that there are people above the Dean. My college ran like this (from lowest to highest):
    Professor-Dean-Provost-President

And there were people above the President, although not directly involved in day to day college function.

In any case, good luck!

9. photoguy93

I think the mass email is a fine idea, seeing as someone in my online class sent one out about her 31 product/pure romance business, lol.

If all else fails, save all correspondence and email the highest up person you can find.

10. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Absolutely save copies of EVERYTHING. This is a good rule in general. I had one conflict years back that probably got resolved in the end rather quickly just because I was able to stuff the envelope with photocopies of all relevant papers along with new letter. I had to pay for a second stamp, but it was gratifying just how fast the matter was settled.