1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

[Trans] Should I Try to Become a Park Ranger?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Cassindra Starlight, Apr 19, 2013.

1. I kind of want to tailor my college studies towards becoming a park ranger, but I'm wondering how feasible this is.

To start, I am planning on transitioning to female in college or shortly after. Legally, that isn't a barrier to working in the Forest Service or in Law Enforcement, but let's be realistic here: non-descrimination laws aren't always followed, and it's hard to prove it when they aren't.

To add on to this, I got medded out of the Navy early on because my aspergers was a bit too severe for them. I have gotten better at handling social situations since leaving the military, and aspergers isn't an out and out disqualifier for law enforcement careers anyway, but it could still be a roadblock. To top it off, I also have ADHD, though it isn't too bad a case.

Am I looking at too many different difficulties in a field that's pretty small, or is each minor enough to be worth trying to tackle all of them?

2. nikom87

This is going to sound cliche, but I think that if its something that you want to do, and you put your mind to it, you can do it! Don't let anyone or any ideas in your head tell you that you can't do something because you're trans or have ADHD or aspergers. Sure, it could be a more difficult road that way, but it is no means a reason to give up. Just show them that you are hard working and smart and have what it takes; the combo of those three things should not preclude you from forest service at all.

Good luck to you!

3. Well, the reason I ask is that not only will I have had or be planning to have life changing medical procedures done, I was also seperated from the military under psychological problems. I have improved on these problems, but the fact remains that the seperation happened. Plus, I am attention deficit. One of these on it's own wouldn't be insurmountable. All three together? I have to ask if my chances are high enough to go for the necessary training in college, before I get myself a degree only to be either medically exempted or flat out ignored by the National Park Service.

4. nikom87

Well if you went down that path in college and got a degree relevant to park service, are there other jobs that would be available to you in forestry? Like, if for some reason they did preclude you from specifically being a ranger, what other jobs in that field could you get? I doubt that it would be a total waste.

5. Rose27

Rose27 Guest

As far as medical exemption maybe a letter from a mental health professional saying you are now fine would help.