1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What is home?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by theMaverick, Apr 20, 2013.

1. theMaverick

So...I've been up at my moms helping her out, and then she had to have emergency surgery, and I've had a lot of time to think, and I feel at home here and I miss it, but yet when I lived here, all I wanted to do was get out. Now thoughts of returning pervade my mind. It's been a hellacious week for me, and I'm so freaking conflicted now. Ugh. :-/

So...what do you consider to be your home? Is it where you lived? Where you were raised? Where you live now?

Give me advice, please, please. Ugh.

2. Gravity Defyer

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Home's where your heart is.

Hope it helps.

3. theMaverick

I don't even know where that is any more. Like...the last year that been so emotionally hard and I've put up so many walls that I don't know what to do.

4. FruitFly

I have no advice unfortunately.

I consider my home to be the place I am most comfortable, and at present that place is in the wastelands of the North-West of England, a stones throw away from the Scottish border and full of people whose accents I find incredibly comforting. I did not grow up there, but I lived there consistently for far more years than I've ever lived anywhere else. My heart belongs to that place, the moment I step off the train I know I'm home. This develops further when I have a place to call my own. Somewhere I've settled, filled with things I find beautiful or interesting. I like waking up and knowing I'm in a county I feel comfortable in, in an area I love.

I've never lived in one place for long enough to have a "home" with my parents, so the first placed I moved to and settled in for over 5 years become the place I grew to view as home. I don't really view a house as my home, just the area. I could be happy in any house providing I can make little touches that make it my little refuge from the world. My heart is there, not with any one person but just with the area as a whole. I miss it terribly, and every day I spend in the Midlands is another day I feel as if I'm being suffocated. The atmosphere is different, the people are different, and I miss the county I call home.

Unlike your own situation moving home has been nothing but stressful for me. I love my family, and I do like my room, but living here this past year as done nothing but cause me to isolate from the world, and I really cannot wait to leave. Being home for a weekend is lovely, but being here on a long term basis ... I have lived independently for too long, enjoyed the pleasures of a kitchen organised just how I like it, and being able to shop for food independently, heck even tending to the garden. I miss it, I miss my home. This is my parents home, but it is not mine.

5. theMaverick

Just to be clear, I'm not referring to the possibility of living with my mother again, if I came back here, I would only do so when I could support myself. It's the place. I lived here from the time I was 6 to the time I was 18 and then from 19-23. I know the roads. The skies. The buildings. The places. The back roads. The people. Everything. I spent so long wanting to leave, but now that I've been back for a few weeks, the things I loved when I was here are pulling at my heartstrings. Even weird things like the trail of dirt that follows your car when you drive down a dirt road, the smell of the dirt, the clean air, the peace and quiet.

6. FruitFly

Ah, my mistake.

Now I know the error of my interpretation, I understand those feelings.

7. theMaverick

I just don't know how to feel about how I feel. I spent so so very horribly long trying to leave this place, and I've been really emotional during my time here. After I finally left, my entire life completely fell apart. Things where I live now are shitty. No job, no friends, no life, no money, and I live with my dad, which is a pretty crappy situation. I just don't know what to do or how to feel.

8. Ptolemy

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    First, I hope your mom is doing well.

As for the issue of home that is a hard one. I'm a natural born American, but was born in Europe. My dad is an immigrant to the US, grew up here, joined the military (that's why even though I was born abroad I am a natural born American) and met my mom in Europe. So both my parents are immigrants. By the time I graduated high school I had been to 10 different schools. I have lived in Texas, Virginia (3 seperate times), Kentucky (2 times), and Ohio. I actually went to high school in Romania, because of my dad's work there and I ended up going to England for university. Funnily enough England was the longest I had lived in one spot in my life so far. After uni I moved back to the US after being gone for 9 years, and in that time never being back once before for a visit. Last few years I have been living with my grandparents helping look after my grandfather, while I look for full time work. My first 6 months back in the US I absolutely hated it. I wanted to go back to England desperately. Now I have gotten comfortable being back here in the US, but still miss England sometimes.

After a while you realize that you make do with where you are now, and know that each spot isn't forever, and you cannot move back to the past. Once you leave a place it changes and you change, even in small ways. It is nice to have good memories of a place, but they are memories. I have visited England several times in the last few years and I still know my way around, my favorite haunts and such, but I know it is different and I am different. If I were to move back it would have to be for a fresh start, not a past I want to go back to. I'm still looking for a real home. I also think to myself my first home is myself. I'm trying to be happy with myself first, even though it is very hard. (I hope that's not too preachy.:confused:)

9. theMaverick

I mean...I feel like this place is home. I graduated from high school here. My best friend is buried here. But on the opposite hand, I hate certain things like how there isn't anything to do here. I guess I'll figure it out. I can't do anything now anyway.

10. lexi

lexi Guest

Home is where you always go back to
    When you're uncomfortable, you want to go home
    When you're tired, you want to go home
    At the end of the day, you want to go home
    Where you can relax
    Where you can be comfortable
    Where you can sleep

To me, home is where you long to be, or "where your heart is" or the one place you're most comfortable- where you can take your shoes off, lean back, and think, im home

11. animequeen567

Home is where you feel most comfortable and safe. A place that you can leave but always come back to. Home for me is two places and neither are my permanent residence. Home is my college and my mawmaw and pawpaw's house. I am always welcome back to both those places. My permanent residence is nice, but it's not my home because I honestly don't feel welcome there or safe for personal reasons.

12. theMaverick

That would be here. Oklahoma. My time in Texas has never made it feel like home, it's just felt like a really long vacation.

13. lexi

lexi Guest

Then my advise would be, either move back to Oklahoma, but think about it really carefully. Keep in mind how much you wanted to leave!!

OR, find a way to make Texas (or anywhere else) feel more like home to you :slight_smile:

14. theMaverick

Sigh. I'm going to bed for now. Thanks for the advice.

15. Stridenttube

Stridenttube Guest

I think, when we are young that we really want to see what life is like outside of those walls that you grew up in. But when you leave for a while you realize that it's just like anyplace else. Then you become a bit homesick. You miss the people you know, the familiar places.

Also, you say there's nothing to do. But, you don't have to live in the same town. You can always live somewhere close to home and travel back whenever you feel like it.

16. theMaverick

That's a good point. I dreamt about moving back here last night, and it was such a comforting dream.

17. Hexagon

Well thats funny, cause my heart is in my chest. As for my metaphorical heart, that was lost a long time ago.

Basically, I don't know where I would call home. Never really been happy anywhere

18. sillyolme

where you can grab food from the fridge and treat the place like your own :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

19. WorldsCollided

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have lived in Sweden for 7 years, when I lived there I called Thailand home when I finally move back I called Sweden home...... it's funny feeling. For me, I grew up in Thailand and I always felt like I wasn't fitting in. But I was lucky to have many good friends around and they really help me through those time. I spent a year in Japan when I was 15 and I felt the same like when I was in Thailand. The first time I went to England, thats when I feel like I can truely breath then I found Sweden.

I really felt comfortable there. And I felt like "finally a place where I feel I fitted in". But it's the country that I have lived for only 7 years and all my family are back in Thailand so having "a home" really give me difficult time. I just dont really know where my home is!

And now that I am back to Thailand, it is good to be with family and friends I grew up with again but really everyday is a struggle I still feel like I'm not fitting in like I did years ago but I somehow have to try to make a living here.

20. thinthinline

Home is where everything is most familiar and where you are HAPPIEST.
    I think everyone considers "home" to be their childhood place of growing up. But HOME home in adulthood can be a different place if it's somewhere where you have good friends and feel you want to stay there for a long time.