1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Music Festival Advice

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by lostlifeguard, Apr 21, 2013.

1. lostlifeguard

Hey guys, so I'm going to a music festival (Osheaga in Montreal) this summer, and I was looking for any advice you guys could give me. I'm road tripping with my friends, so it's the first time going on any kind of vacation without my parents, and I'll be turning 18 while I'm there (also the drinking age). I'm hoping it'll be a really good experience.

Things I was looking for advice on specifically are
    1) What kind of things should I wear (other than tank tops--hate them)? I'm definitely not a fashionable gay guy, so help from someone who is would be much appreciated.
    2) I know these kind of festivals are good for hook ups, so any advice in regards to that? I just came out to 1 of the 5 people I'm going with, but will probs be out to all by the time we go.

Those are the things I was looking for the most advice on, but if you have experience and want to give any other advice that's fine with me.

Thanks!

2. BudderMC

The bottom line for nearly all questions like these is that you'll end up having the most fun however you're most comfortable. That said, if it's going to be in the middle of a crowd in the middle of the summer, you're probably going to want to dress light and comfortable. As for what looks good, you don't have to be "fashionable" to be gay and you don't have to be "fashionable" to look good. I'm gay and I'm certainly not fashionable, but I can dress to make myself look good in a pair of jeans, a sweater, and nice sneakers. Dress for your style, not someone else's.

As for hook ups, the big issue is not being out to the people you're going with, since they'll inevitably notice you're gone one night if you are hooking up with someone. Besides that, ask yourself if a hook up is something you're comfortable with. Some people are fine with casual sex, some people aren't. I'm one of those people who'd rather wait, but I don't know what you're like.

In terms of safety, hook ups are almost guaranteed to be less safe (sexually) since you really don't know anything about the other person, let alone their sexual history, and there's little you can do to build up that level of trust in an afternoon. That said, if you're looking to be safe (which you should be), carry your own condom(s) and let one of your friends know where you're going/who you're going with. I hate to stereotype, but a newly-out newly-18 year old gay guy mixed with alcohol and tons of other young people is a recipe for getting taken advantage of if you're not safe, so be careful. Set systems up in advance (like the who/where you're going) before your judgement gets skewed, either by alcohol or infatuation or whatever.

Oh, and use some common sense. If the guy looks like a sleazeball (no matter how hot he is), sounds like a sleazeball, and is acting like a sleazeball, he's probably a sleazeball and (probably) not someone you want to be sleeping with.

3. Hefiel

Isn't the Festival in August? You're preparing early :confused:

Wouldn't wearing the clothes you normally wear be enough? (a.k.a don't try to be someone you're not). You might want to bring a vest or something in case for the late night shows, the weather at night could get a bit chilly even in August (considering how weird the weather has been in the past few years).

I don't know how great these places are for hook-ups for gay guys though. If anything you could always try to hang around the Village in the Vieux-Montréal which is the gay area and has some gay bars and clubs (the area is pretty open so there's a bit of everything for everybody). You'll be pretty close by, literally 2 subway station away (Berri-UQAM)

I don't know if you're from Québec or not, although I'll assume you are, so you probably speak French? There should be enough people who understand English otherwise. Something to look out for either way.

Beyond that, I don't know much about the festival. I've actually never been to the Osheaga music festival, not my kind of music.

4. Zaio

Zaio Guest

Good advice has already been given, but I'm going to add this -

LOADS of people at music festivals will be very high, and there will be a lot of people selling drugs. Be careful if you intend on buying ecstasy pills, as pills are dangerous because they can contain things like rat poison (to maximise profits) or heroin/morphine (to get you hooked).

Make sure you stay with your friends if you intend on drinking a lot, because if you're passed out on the floor alone, then I can guarantee you'll wake up without a wallet or phone.

All the best.

5. lostlifeguard

Thanks for the advice! Any don't worry, reading this advice I'm worried I may worded myself wrong. By hookup I didn't mean going as far as sex, just dancing/making out at the concert or whatever. No STDs for me. Also, I'm not planning on doing any drugs other than alcohol, and regardless, I have a good group of friends, we'd watch out for each other and someone will be sober.

Yea, for clothes I'm just not really sure what people wear to music festivals. I mean, I want to look good, not too out of place.

6. idk about the weather there but ill tell you what to bring clothes wise as if you were going to a festival in the uk lol..... so it may help XD

take a poncho/rain mac
    and some wellies. incase of rain.
    other than that, youre all good to go.
    take a jumper for if its cold. a few tshirts, incase a few get beer spilt on them e.t.c. and some gloves and a hat, incase it all of a sudden turns freezing. a spare pair of jeans/trousers and you shouldnt need much else apart from essentials.

everyone at festivals looks different lol, no set dress code. wear what you feel comfortable in.

dont take any clothes that you couldnt live without even if they are your fav, theres a chance they could get ruined.